Dragon Ball/DBZ Movie Reviews

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
It isn't as shit as some of the other ones that would follow later in the franchise, but felt underwhelming, and is worse than the two after it overall imo. Garlic Jr's final fight mainly felt like a rehash of the Raditz battle except he is much more easily beaten, but at least it paid homage to many of the tropes of pre-Saiyan arc Dragon Ball while the later ones just became standard rehashes of current DBZ villain arcs.

Now the arc, on the other hand was complete shit... and why did Garlic Jr's giant form make him slower while it's (afaik) never mentioned as a weakness in the movie?

Regardless, 3.5/10

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
I'm watching it right now from English dubbed version, I'll start watching 4th e movies from sub once we start reviewing the "Tree of might".

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I believe I saw this in late 2012 or early 2013. Needless to say, I don't remember it well, but I don't recall liking it at all.

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
Done,

Like everyone said, it's just a rehashed of Raditz arc but a longer version of it. Gohan was really great which brought a lot of memories about him from Saiyan to Freeza arc and with Stephanie Naldolny's voice was fantastic. This movie is probably one of Zamasu's least favorite of all time along with the World's Strongest and M7 IMO.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Speaking of The World's Strongest, moving on to it now.

This film did have some rehashing of the Vegeta fight during the last portion, though other than that, it was pretty original compared to most other films and quite underrated. It's combat scenes were a lot more skillful than many of the fights in the later movies, plus the overall plot and Uiro's goals were a lot more original than half of the DBZ Movies. From that alone, it avoids being a bottom tier film. It was still overall fairly boring with villains who aside from being original compared to most DBZ movie villains, were otherwise uninteresting. As the TFS version pointed out, it was also absurd for Uiro to want to put his brain in Roshi or Goku's body when it's about as large as the body of the former in the first place.
I must admit it had some definite perks. Seeing Roshi have a significant role was nice, plus the supporting cast had far more relevance than they would in the several films to follow. It having a mad scientist plotline was pretty interesting in retrospect too, when considering Toriyama hadn't thought of Gero at this point.

Overall score - 3.5/10 (4 approx). An improvement on it's predecessor in the ever present category of lacking rehashed material, though still nothing worth rewatching.

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
Watching the movie right now.

Gohan and Oolong searching for a DBs? Dr. Wheelo was stucked in the ice? I thought the old man who summoned Shenron was Dr. Wheelo lol!

Dafuq with these Saibamen clones? Can't Toei at least designed these maniacs differently? Piccolo saved Gohan and Goku didn't which again proved that Goku is not a good father. I must have Gohan's learning ethics to be a great scholar. :ladd

Another henchmen of Toei's movies. Poor Roshi got beaten by Bio-Warriors lol. Apparently Dr. Wheelo was just another version of Dr. Gero who wants to destroy or rule the world but somehow it didn't work. The golden bio warrior is a carbon copy of Dodoria and the red hair bio warrior is just a copy of Racoome IMO, typical of Toei doesn't have a great ideas for their villains. :ladd

This movie suck so hard. 2/10

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
So now we move on to DBZ Movie 3, Super Deciding Battle for Planet Earth/Tree of Might

This is easily the best of the first 4 DBZ Movies. It's villains and plot presented far more of an urgent threat than Garlic Jr. or Uiro combined, topped off by the OG Evil Goku, who plays the role far better than Black due to being more than just a Ginyu 2.0. Tullece feels like a genuine parralell of Goku and a good representation of how he would be if he hadn't hit his head.
Some would argue that this has some copy-paste elements of the Vegeta fight, though I don't see that as much of a criticism here. Aside from a Saiyan antagonist and the Genki-Dama being the key to victory, the movie was far less of a copy-paste of canon content than the previous ones.
The only genuine complaint I have beyond the questionable timeline is the powerscaling. Goku was overpowered by Oozaru Gohan with Kaioken x2, yet Tullece wasn't too impressed by Gohan's Oozaru form and could've killed him with his Kill Driver. Then, we have Tullece showing actual concern at Goku's power, implying Base Goku's full power was greater than his Kaioken x2. I guess you could say Goku got a rage boost, but the chain still seems stupid. Aside from that, the only problems I have were ones that already plague the canon material, such as everyone relying on Goku 90% of the time or a lack of development from the events.
Still, it's easily the best of the first four DBZ films through it's original scenario and somewhat entertaining fight sequences. It also gains bonus points for being the funniest of the Big Green dub.
Overall score - 4.5/10 (5 approx)

p123

Elite
Very good idea CC. I just watched Movie 5 yesterday and I'm watching Movie 6 right now. What a great idea, god bless you guys for making it this far, most of those movies are pure trash.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
The only one I've seen recently was M8. Makes me never want to watch the films again.

p123

Elite
Haha damn. M8 is one of the better ones too lol. I liked M8 better than M10. M10 is trash. M5 is my favorite, Cooler is canon to me, he's the best movie character and he fits perfectly into the canon as well.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Yeah M8 >> M10. I think they are all trash tbh. Typical Toei nonsense in all of them. Can't even find them entertaining with how boring and predictable they are.

p123

Elite
Just watched M6. Pure garbage with a couple of epic scenes. Worth it to have Metal Cooler. Movie 5 is probably the best movie of them all in my opinion. Cooler is badass and worth it. I didn't realize just how powerful Metal Cooler is.

From the looks of it, Piccolo has fused with Kami by this time. It seems that Goku and Vegeta are on par with each other, with Vegeta saving Goku much like he did in the manga.

I think it's fair to say this around the Android Saga, Vegeta and Goku are on par with each other and Piccolo is probably his regular strength from the Android Saga or a bit weaker.

Metal Cooler god stomps them and appears to be even stronger. He probably can probably take out 17 and 18 at the same time.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
Interesting thread. I watched them a long time ago. I think I'll participate on this thread. So what movie now? Movie 4?

p123

Elite
Yea, Movie 4 is up. Movie 4 and on are generally worth watching. I just watched the Cooler Movies and watching Movie 7 now. So I'm looking forward to any discussion with those. I might check out Movie 4, true Goku Black is not a bad character.