Dragon Ball/DBZ Movie Reviews

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Atem King of Nigs said:
I don't really mind the timeline not making sense unless it's absolute garbage like a rehash of Piccolo Daimao suddenly popping out of nowhere. Its kind of hard to make entirely new stories fit in canon since most of the arcs take place within a few days (Namek was only a week or so long after Bulma and the others landed, Boo arc from Kaioshin's appearance and onwards was like 2-3 days long and all of the tournament arcs aren't even a day long in the manga). Even a show like Inuyasha where a bunch of irrelevant filler demons appear between the times Naraku actually shows up :donovan has movies that break continuity
That's fair enough. But they still could have tried to be more original. The few times they did, it worked. E.g. Movie 13. Even more shameless fan-service could have been alright, like introducing more Saiyans l0l.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Garlic Jr is one of their more original villains and he's still kind of a rip off of Piccolo :ladd

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Fearless Super said:
Did Trunks transformed into SSjin after Gohan died right? Because that's not the case in the manga.
ye

One of the few times Toei actually did that competently on their own.

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
That movie is so depressing for me to watch. It feels like there's no a happy ending other than when Trunks returned and destroys those Androids which was in the anime and not in the special.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
Fearless Super said:
That movie is so depressing for me to watch. It feels like there's no a happy ending other than when Trunks returned and destroys those Androids which was in the anime and not in the special.
The credits give a feeling of hope.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Fantastische Hure said:
Is the Captain going to review the Trunks TV-Special?
Guess I should.

Like the Bardock Special, this is a portion of the series capable of maintaining interest and standing out through focusing on a setting not ruled by the same plot conveniences as the main story, hence making consequences permanent and cementing it as a more solid story than the actual main series. It also surpasses the Bardock special in terms of character writing, as we get a lot more time to focus on Future Trunks and Gohan's friendship before the latter's death, making it far more impactful than those of Bardock's team. The Future Artificial Humans are also given enough time to flesh them out as being more than just carbon copies of their main timeline selves, which does a lot when comparing them to how the Bardock Special gave little in presenting new layers to it's villains.
It still has the problem of being a mere side story in which anyone going into the special knows the overall outcome of characters' fates if they'd watched DBZ beforehand. You could also argue that about Gohan's strength being far above what the manga presented him as, though that has no bearing on the actual film or the anime continuity, so such a point would be moot. However, in regards to Gohan's strength, it's a clear negative example of plot dictates power when comparing how weak he is compared to his post-Rosat self in the main timeline, since logically he should be even stronger due to the experiences he endured.
Still, the special's unique take on setting and storytelling gives it a lot of positives when compared to DBZ's main story, making it quite a good side story. As far as telling a story goes, it's also a lot better than it's manga counterpart.
Overall Score - 6/10. Easily the 2nd best out of all the movies/specials.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
I probably agree that this Special is probably the best out of any of the movies/specials/OVAs and so-on. Trunks' voice-actor did a really facking amazing job in the scene where Trunks finds Gohan dead. That scream was haunting. :wtf :wtf :wtf

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
CC, I know you mentioned Power-Scaling problems, but I think you missed one. In movie 3 there's never any training done in between the two fights with Tao-Pai-Pai. One fight he gets defeated easily, the other he wins rather easily (even-though there was help by Arale too, but still). You can say that Karin's advice on movements might have been what turned the tide or that Goku was too angry the first time around to fight effectively against Tao-Pai-Pai, but you still have stuff like stopping the Dodon-Pa which doesn't really make sense.

SIAD

Elite
Fantastische Hure said:
CC, I know you mentioned Power-Scaling problems, but I think you missed one. In movie 3 there's never any training done in between the two fights with Tao-Pai-Pai. One fight he gets defeated easily, the other he wins rather easily (even-though there was help by Arale too, but still). You can say that Karin's advice on movements might have been what turned the tide or that Goku was too angry the first time around to fight effectively against Tao-Pai-Pai, but you still have stuff like stopping the Dodon-Pa which doesn't really make sense.

But I'm wrong, Goku got a Zenkai Power in that movie.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
SIAD said:
Fantastische Hure said:

But I'm wrong, Goku got a Zenkai Power in that movie.
l0l I never actually thought about that, but yeah retroactively you can just chalk that upto a Zenkai.

Void

Elite
Retired Staff
I've still never had to suffer through that garbage.