How Powerful Was Mecha Trunks?

Goku9001

Mid Class Warrior
Many tend to agree that Mecha Frieza was never at full power but even so, I do feel as though the narrative leads us in the direction that Mecha Trunks could easily kill Frieza even if he was at full power.

For one, King Cold recognizes Trunks as the strongest in the universe for eliminating Frieza in an instant.

Chapter: 332 (DBZ 138), P6.1-2
Context: after Trunks kills Freeza
Cold: “My, you are capable, aren’t you? Marvelous, truly more than I imagined…To think that you could wipe my son Freeza out in that instant… How about it? Will you take Freeza’s place and become my child? Certainly you, the strongest in the universe, are qualified to join my clan.”

King Cold and Frieza both expected the Super Saiyan to be a danger to them. King Cold asserts that Trunks is stronger than he expected by wiping out Frieza instantly and claims that he's the strongest in the universe. Furthermore, not once does King Cold argue that Trunks won simply because Frieza was suppressed. Rather, it was only his sword that enabled him to do it. That would suggest that Trunks' performance against Frieza placed him definitively as Frieza's superior by a large margin. Goku also hints at the same thing.

Chapter: 335 (DBZ 141), P3.3-4
Goku: “For you, a Super Saiyan who instantly defeated Freeza and co., to call them monsters is really something…
Trunks “Yes…I’ve stood against them, but unfortunately…In any case, I’m up against two of them…Even fighting one-on-one, I could barely manage to escape…”

Keep in mind that this is someone that had already reached a level much higher than Frieza. For Goku to acknowledge Trunks for having defeated Frieza easily would mean that Trunks' power would be something relatively close to Goku's. Only being capable of defeating a heavily suppressed Frieza isn't something to be impressed about given that Goku could already do that back on Namek.

That's also what the narrative is focusing on. Goku is shocked that Trunks was completely powerless against the Androids given what Trunks could actually do. Goku wouldn't be so easily concerned about the Androids if it were something he could easily replicate. The Androids are also presented as a much greater threat than Frieza by rendering Trunks completely powerless. Both of these implications seem to lean on the idea that Trunks could easily defeat Frieza at full power.

Tenshinhan and Kami both state that this was always the case in the Android saga.

Chapter: 355 (DBZ 161), P8.3-4
Tenshinhan: “Th-this is the man who took down Freeza…And he was helpless before these androids… I’ll be frank…! No matter how strong Goku may be, he shouldn’t be that different from Trunks or Vegeta…”

Chapter: 356 (DBZ 162), P3.1
God: “Things turned out this way against the androids… Even for that ‘Trunks’ boy who came from the future and instantly obliterated Freeza and his father… and even for Vegeta, whose abilities are even greater than Trunks…

On its face, both are alluding to Frieza's full power. Trunks' feat serves as a benchmark to compare the Androids and for a concrete comparison to measure the two, you would naturally take the strongest power into account.

Then, there's also Trunks claiming that the attacks he targeted Goku with were ones that could kill Frieza in an instant. Goku states that he wasn't completely serious here.

Chapter: 334 (DBZ 140), P13.3-5
Context: after Trunks and Goku fight
Trunks: “As expected, the rumors were true. No, you’re even greater…This was the sword that cut even Freeza…
Goku: “ You weren’t serious, after all.”

The way I see it is:

Mecha Frieza: 60
Trunks (vs. Goku/Frieza): 90
Trunks (Full Power): 100

What do you guys think?

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
I think everybody here agrees Trunks should still eat Freeza and Cold alive with the former at 100%.

I’m not sure if Goku is implying Trunks held back on Freeza though. It sounds more like Goku is accusing Trunks of using less power on him specifically.

Hector

High Class Warrior
In the manga, it is obvious.

In the anime, where it is implied by Kai that Mecha Trunks is just a little stronger than Namek Goku, it is more complicated.

Hector

High Class Warrior
I have a theory....because of Freeza's cybernetic implants he doesn't need to power up, or get bulky to utilize his full power.
How about this?
-Initial power: 50%
-Blast against Trunks: 70%
-Full power: Unseen

Goku9001

Mid Class Warrior
In the manga, it is obvious.

In the anime, where it is implied by Kai that Mecha Trunks is just a little stronger than Namek Goku, it is more complicated.
What is the exact quote? In the manga, Trunks' ki was noted to be characteristically similar to Goku's but that may be different in Kai.

I have a theory....because of Freeza's cybernetic implants he doesn't need to power up, or get bulky to utilize his full power.
That's personally what I think. It makes more sense for Frieza to be at full power. At the very least, I think Trunks should be much stronger than Frieza here for the narrative to make any sort of sense whatsoever.

Goku9001

Mid Class Warrior
I think everybody here agrees Trunks should still eat Freeza and Cold alive with the former at 100%.

I’m not sure if Goku is implying Trunks held back on Freeza though. It sounds more like Goku is accusing Trunks of using less power on him specifically.
Well. Goku is just clarifying that he was able to easily deflect Trunks' attacks because Trunks wasn't actually serious. It's really Trunks that is claiming that those are the same attacks that could kill Frieza. When you connect the two ideas, it requires Trunks to be able to kill Frieza in an instant while holding back slightly.

Hector

High Class Warrior
What is the exact quote? In the manga, Trunks' ki was noted to be characteristically similar to Goku's but that may be different in Kai.
In the anime, King Kai says that Trunks is "probably stronger than Goku".

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
At least x1.5 stronger than 100% Mecha Freeza, IMO.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Furthermore, not once does King Cold argue that Trunks won simply because Frieza was suppressed.
I think this is more than enough to prove that Freeza wasn't suppressed. Not every power up needs to be stated for it to be true.

Freeza clearly has PTSD over the events on Namek, and now another Super Saiyan is standing in front of him. You can see the shock on his face when Trunks transforms. Why would he remain at a suppressed level before attacking him? He even looks enraged when he says that Trunks will be the one to die.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
I think this is more than enough to prove that Freeza wasn't suppressed. Not every power up needs to be stated for it to be true.

Freeza clearly has PTSD over the events on Namek, and now another Super Saiyan is standing in front of him. You can see the shock on his face when Trunks transforms. Why would he remain at a suppressed level before attacking him? He even looks enraged when he says that Trunks will be the one to die.

I’m not sure if that was 100% Freeza since no buff, but at the very least that was a FP blast from ~70% Freeza. The anime says that blast wasn’t FP, but was just to set up the Supernova scene that makes Freeza an absolute ant to Trunks. Filler Trunks could easily be 2-3x 100% Freeza.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I don't think it makes sense for him to buff up when his body is half robotic. How would the organic parts of his body expand?

Freeza says he wants to show Goku the new and improved version of himself. Being able to access 100% power without such a huge detriment would definitely qualify as being new and improved.

GreatSaiyaman123

Super Elite
I can see Freeza just looking goofy, or his robot parts expanding too.

But on the other hand, if his power comes from mechanical implants it makes sense he wouldn’t need to strain his body anymore. Everything post Namek tends to completely ignore his buff form as a representation of his FP too.

SIAD

Elite
I honestly think Mecha Frieza was Suppressed, because Mecha Frieza mentions that he used Future Trunks as a warm-up to then face Goku. This was after Frieza released the Ball of Death.

It is also constantly implied that King Cold is > Mecha Frieza (Deleted against Future Trunks).

I honestly think that Future Trunks SSJ outperformed Frieza by such a big difference, that the result would have been the same if Mecha Frieza had used 100%.

I like having Future Trunks SSJ over a Hypothetical Mecha Frieza with the same difference as Vegeta (24,000) over Kiwi.

Goku9001

Mid Class Warrior
I honestly think Mecha Frieza was Suppressed, because Mecha Frieza mentions that he used Future Trunks as a warm-up to then face Goku. This was after Frieza released the Ball of Death.

It is also constantly implied that King Cold is > Mecha Frieza (Deleted against Future Trunks).

I honestly think that Future Trunks SSJ outperformed Frieza by such a big difference, that the result would have been the same if Mecha Frieza had used 100%.

I like having Future Trunks SSJ over a Hypothetical Mecha Frieza with the same difference as Vegeta (24,000) over Kiwi.
That would be in the anime correct? Because there's no mention of Mecha Frieza toying with Trunks. He flat-out tries to blast Trunks out of fear and thinks he killed him despite knowing he was a Super Saiyan.

I don't think it was implied that King Cold was stronger than Mecha Frieza. King Cold considers Trunks to be the strongest in the universe for killing Frieza.

SIAD

Elite
Also from what I remember, Frieza was fighting at first with his 50% and then with his 70% when Goku became SSJ.

After Mecha Frieza's Ball of Death explodes on Future Trunks, Mecha Frieza comments that Future Trunks served as a warm-up for him to challenge Goku.

This makes me think that Future Trunks SSJ (Debut) >>> Goku SSJ (Namek) >> Future Trunks SSJ (Frieza's estimate).

After Future Trunks finished off both villains, Krillin asks in amazement "Who is that Warrior who finished off the mighty Frieza in an instant?" with that guy who had a powerful ki."

Future Trunks SSJ defeated Mecha Frieza in an instant, so although King Cold was stronger than that version of Mecha Frieza (by heating up), he logically realized that he had no chance against Future Trunks SSJ.

For example, if Dodoria had watched the match between Cui vs. Vegeta, he would have realized that he wouldn't have stood a chance against Vegeta, even though Dodoria is more powerful than Cui.

Goku9001

Mid Class Warrior
Also from what I remember, Frieza was fighting at first with his 50% and then with his 70% when Goku became SSJ.

After Mecha Frieza's Ball of Death explodes on Future Trunks, Mecha Frieza comments that Future Trunks served as a warm-up for him to challenge Goku.

This makes me think that Future Trunks SSJ (Debut) >>> Goku SSJ (Namek) >> Future Trunks SSJ (Frieza's estimate).

After Future Trunks finished off both villains, Krillin asks in amazement "Who is that Warrior who finished off the mighty Frieza in an instant?" with that guy who had a powerful ki."

Future Trunks SSJ defeated Mecha Frieza in an instant, so although King Cold was stronger than that version of Mecha Frieza (by heating up), he logically realized that he had no chance against Future Trunks SSJ.

For example, if Dodoria had watched the match between Cui vs. Vegeta, he would have realized that he wouldn't have stood a chance against Vegeta, even though Dodoria is more powerful than Cui.
That's not the case in the manga though. Frieza clearly thought he killed Trunks with that attack.

SIAD

Elite
Could it be then that the final shot of Mecha Frieza against Future Trunks SSJ, was with all his power?

I mean the attack I launch after the Ball of Death.
That's not the case in the manga though. Frieza clearly thought he killed Trunks with that attack.
Could it be then that the final shot of Mecha Frieza against Future Trunks SSJ, was with all his power?

I mean the attack I launch after the Ball of Death.