I'm bored

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Do you smoke? Are you even allowed to smoke with your kidney condition?

sei'taer

High Class Warrior
They discourage it, but they don't say you can't.

Not that I smoke, I spent my entire childhood with flareups of acute bronchial asthma due to whooping cough complications as a child.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Shit, I actually feel bad for you now. I've literally never had a crippling physical condition except hernia.

sei'taer

High Class Warrior
Kenshi said:
Shit, I actually feel bad for you now. I've literally never had a crippling physical condition except hernia.

If you can have bad luck with 1/1000 chances medically that's me. Be it actually catching whooping cough (or something very much like it) from the vaccine, a one in a million kidney disease, or a one in a thousand bleed during a kidney biopsy that's me.

I lived a pretty normal life prior to 28 though. The bronchial asthma only really flared up as a kid when I had a cold or something similar. I just didn't do well with smoke.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
I have some allergies, but my body managed to take shit like smoking meth and such without much trouble. Eventually started getting crystal dick from meth, but whatever.... I quit that shit.

Have your medical issues dissuaded you from believing in God at any point?

sei'taer

High Class Warrior
I don't believe in God having some grand plan. Having free will is the only way I can reconcile the terrible things that happen in the world with a benevolent god. A god that causes all this death and destruction as some kind of plan isn't one worth believing in.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
But whatever genetic issues that caused your kidney failure aren't a product of free will (except maybe your parents' desire to have children I guess...). Has a part of you ever blamed God for that?

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
Not a discussing topic, but I find it hard to believe until I get some indubitable proof. I don't discard the possibility and would rather there being a greater plan than randomness (which is an unmotivating thought to me), but skepticism remains as the predominant thought in my mind. Very easy to point out "this guy surviving is a miracle, that's for sure God's hand", but then, is God selective? Why does the miracle of surviving happens with some ppl but not with others? What about the unfortunate souls? Thus the hole in attributing any occurrence like this to God. Maybe you could say God has indeed saved such person because it still wasn't their time to perish, while others might have been, but I digress.

I've found a dialogue in a movie I watched a while ago that goes as follows:

-- Beside all people, why was my daughter the chosen one to host this demon? Why my family?

-- My sir, does a fisherman choose the fisher that will catch the bait?

Randomness... It's scary and uncomfortable, hence why I think many people side with religion.

sei'taer

High Class Warrior
Kenshi said:
But whatever genetic issues that caused your kidney failure aren't a product of free will (except maybe your parents' desire to have children I guess...). Has a part of you ever blamed God for that?

No because I don't believe God had any role in my parents deciding to have kids, or myself getting the 1 in 4 chance of getting both bad genes passed on. I can either believe God leaves us to our own devices and believe in god, or I can believe that he's responsible for terrible things like my disease and the murder and war in that case even if I believe god existed I'd not be a Christian. That's how I handle my faith.

Randomness... It's scary and uncomfortable, hence why I think many people side with religion.

Pre-destination to me is also scary and uncomfortable.

This disease is really both sides. Yes it was terrible to have, but it's also a miracle that I'm alive. I walked into the ICU with a hemoglobin a quarter that of a normal person. My blood toxin level was 20 times normal. I had no electrolytes to speak of. My blood pressure was 210/112. I shouldn't have been standing, let alone walking. I probably had a day or so left before my other organs started to fail. So was it's both a plan that I got the disease and that I survived it? Or did I just get really lucky that modern kidney treatment can take us back from the brink of death?

To me if this is some sort of plan I feel a lot like Jonah in the whale at this point.