Mystico's Dragon Ball GT Thread

Mr. Popo Fan

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
images

Just a thread for keeping track of my impromptu watch of Dragon Ball GT. I intend to write my thoughts on 5 episodes per post. I've seen 3 now, so I will expound on them after the next two.

Nnnegative energy

Mr. Popo Fan

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
images

Dragon Ball GT: Episodes 1 - 5:

1-5 are in the books. To be quite honest I wasn't paying complete attention as I was grinding Hercule to Level 50 in Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku II. I did however watch and listen to enough of it to be able to digest what was happening. A few notes:

- it looks rough. I don't blame Toei for this, it's probably just due to age and time constraints, but it definitely looks its age. It has the weird thing where background characters are completely stationary making the same facial expressions for too long. One example is a shot of Uub and the back of Goku. Goku is talking and Uub is just looking like a statue with a stupid smile on his face. I don't think this takes away from anything though, it's just funny.

- Watching the Funimation dub version. Obviously the soundtrack is different and I believe it's negatively received. I really like it though. It works to give GT a distinct feeling from Z, which it should have.

- I don't like how they mention that the Black Star Dragon Balls were long forgotten by everyone, including Kami and Piccolo, but Pilaf somehow knows everything about them through research. King Kai also did "research" and learned about them somehow. Mr. Popo also seemed to know about them despite it already being established that they were long forgotten. It's a weird inconsistency but really just a means to an end to get Goku back to being a kid and to raise the stakes and facilitate the adventure.

- This might be an unpopular take but I think the pairing of Goku, Trunks and Pan is preferable to Goku and Gohan, or Goku, Trunks and Goten. I feel like Trunks and Pan serve as a pretty good contrast to one another. Pan is unlikeable but at least it's something different.

- the voice of Don Kee is fucking funny and I love it.

- I like the character design and the voice of Ledgic. He feels like the best original character so far.

Overall the show is pretty fucking boring, but the Ledgic fight is the highlight. I intend on watching to the end of this arc and I'm hoping that the Baby Vegeta stuff is as compelling as people say.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
- Watching the Funimation dub version. Obviously the soundtrack is different and I believe it's negatively received. I really like it though. It works to give GT a distinct feeling from Z, which it should have.
Does it have these?:
^Didn’t think so.

Mr. Popo Fan

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
TakedagrandtourgrandtourgrandtourdragonballGT awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhh

Southern Gothic

Super Elite
Staff member
Global Moderator
Red Ribbon Army
There are certain parts of the GT animation that look really good. The first episode for example has some really clean action. They slum it on may other parts of the series. It's almost universally agreed on that the show doesn't come into its own until the first arc is done once Baby comes along. It's goofy and drawn out until then.

Mr. Popo Fan

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
images

Dragon Ball GT: Episodes 6 - 10

Unfortunately not much to write about these five episodes that I watched back to back. They were awful, and firmly changed my ranking of the show from boring to bad. The dub has been hilariously bad, Zoonama was a waste of time, and the Para Para Brothers and their song are the worst thing I've ever seen. In retrospect anyone honestly saying GT > Super must be on crack.