Q plays Platinum

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Nah. Will be using Gyarados as my water type once I get to Mahogany.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
I'd probably say either Lapras or Slowbro is a better choice for the water member. Surf is kind of wasted on a clearly physical attacker like Gyarados and I'm not sure if Johto has many Waterfall areas that would make Gyarados' uses essential outside of battle. Ice Beam is also a far better ice type move than Ice Fang.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Maybe then. I usually have an HM slave anyway but I'll consider it.

Just beat Whitney in 2 attacks with Machop lol.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Currently in Olivine City and my team is starting to shape up.

Bayleef
Machamp
Gengar
Jolteon (may replace later)

I'm going to add Arcanine down the line but I don't feel like grinding a Growlithe to level 48 right now. Also will likely get Tyranitar.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
I'd probably say Tyranitar isn't worth it, considering the only place you can catch Larvitar prior to the post-game is the Safari Zone at Level 17, which will be pretty underlevelled for that part of the game.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Wild Pokemon seem really weak in this game, also other trainers. Platinum seemed more difficult in that respect.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Going to catch Growlithe soon and probably evolve it once it gets Flamethrower. Will use it as a Special Attacker with that and Dragon Pulse instead of grinding it to lv 48 for Flare Blitz.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
[mention]Captain Cadaver[/mention] give me 3 good reasons why I should be taking advice from a guy who has never played the game :wat :wat

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
1. I've looked into many resources revolving around the game.
2. It's pretty easy to see how team composition would work when considering the game's main trainers and the difference in physical/special stats.
3. Refer to 1 and 2 :troll

Six Trails

Elite
Legend
Admin
Have you noticed how stupid RNG is in this game? I recently played through and I swear I always got flinched, paralyzed, statused, hit in confusion, etc. way too much. Seems so much worse in this game (and SS) than any other.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
The one I notice most is that high accuracy attacks miss extremely frequently. Getting hit in confusion is also quite noticeable. I have Confuse Ray on Gengar currently and my opponents never seem to hit themselves.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Decided that I'm going to use Kingdra for my water type now that I have access to Horsea.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
My team has filled out with the help of Platinum.

Meganium
Gengar
Machamp
Aerodactyl
Arcanine
Kingdra

Have yet to evolve, Growlithe and Seadra but will soon enough.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
For a fire stone, the only place you can look right now for one is to beat the school kid on Route 36 (not sure if from the first battle or the rematches). All the other methods of getting one are part of the post-game.

As for the Dragon Scale, do you have access to Mt. Mortar yet? That's the only place in the main story you can get it, unless you'd rather try and catch loads of Horsea and Seadra in the hopes they're one of the 5% holding one :troll.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I’ve got a Fire Stone from Platinum. I’m waiting until I get Flare Blitz to evolve it.

I have access to Mt. Mortar but don’t have Waterfall yet, so I’ll have to wait a bit for that.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
How far are you now? Waterfall's available in the Ice Path and can be used once you've got 8 gym badges, so it sounds like you shouldn't be too far off from acquiring it based on how your team is right now.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I’m actually at Mt Mortar right now, heading to Mahogany.