Q plays Platinum

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Caught the Red Gyarados and am now in Team Rocket's hideout. Why are they so weak? :ha

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Boss Giovanni was clearly the only thing holding his reject lackeys together. No wonder their main plan amounted to hijacking a radio tower to beg him to save them. :cena

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Lol it's terrible. I'm walking into the bad guy's hideout right before the 7th gym and get greeted by level 16 Zubat and Drowzee. Come on :ha

Six Trails

Elite
Legend
Admin
Just a warning for the elite 4 but the level creep is so bad. It took me a few tries to get through them because the game leading up does not prepare you.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Luckily half my team gets 1.5x exp :king

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Six Trails said:
Just a warning for the elite 4 but the level creep is so bad. It took me a few tries to get through them because the game leading up does not prepare you.

I know right? I struggled with it back in the Gold/Silver days too because I was too used to stomping everybody with Typhlosion :giraffe

Kyo

High Class Warrior
Donor
The leveling is awkward because you're allowed to challenge the 7th gym before the 5th and 6th. In fact that's usually how I play the game these days, I just book it to Lake of Rage right after gym 4. In my opinion they should've just made east of Ecruteak much higher leveled while still keeping it accessible should the player choose to go that way for a challenge. This would also allow the levels of wild Pokemon around Blackthorn to be much higher than they are currently. Arguably the biggest flaw of the Johto games.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
It's odd. Platinum was phenomenal for leveling and producing a constant challenge, that goes for trainers and wild Pokemon. It's really odd that they didn't follow that model for the Johto remakes.

Kyo

High Class Warrior
Donor
I think they tried too hard to stick to the feeling of the original Gen 2 in many ways (even though out of all the remakes they've done it's still the most improved overall).

The major bosses should at least outlevel you, although it's balanced out by them usually having 3 pokemon. Kanto is a bit better since the gym leaders are luckily stronger here than they were in GSC.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Beat Team Rocket at the Radio tower. More questionable shit going on here. The final admin Archer had a decently leveled team with each Pokemon being 35. That being said, his team was Houndour, Houndoom and Koffing. Why wouldn't the team be Houndoom, Houndoom, Weezing? Both of those Pokemon evolve at or before level 35. Dumb.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
His team is a copy-paste of one of the generic Rocket Executives from the original G/S/C, where Houndour and Koffing were Level 33 instead of 35 where Koffing evolves. At least it's not as bad as FRLG swapping out Giovanni's Level 50 Rhydon from the originals for a Level 50 Rhyhorn. :alex2

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Bro Rhyhorn is dangerous

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Beat Claire, and my team is currently level 39-40. Where should I train for the Elite-4? I have a feeling I'll get destroyed currently.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Have beaten all 8 gyms and have already wasted an hour trying to catch Ho-Oh. Why is this so impossible?

Kyo

High Class Warrior
Donor
Super Saiyan said:
Beat Claire, and my team is currently level 39-40. Where should I train for the Elite-4? I have a feeling I'll get destroyed currently.

Take a guess at who you think will give you the most exp here, change your clock to the appropriate time, and then spam them for rematches. Usually the ones with more pokemon will yield better returns even if they're a bit lower level. At this point in the story they'll all be at "Second Battle" levels I think. You have to either be on a different route or inside a building when you call to get the rematch (basically can't be in the exact same area as them), but it'll be quicker than grinding wild pokemon at Victory Road or whatever. Although I'd recommend clearing Victory Road first and getting to the Pokemon League.

You'll probably be fine if you just get to ~45 or so.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Giving up on Ho-Oh for now. Can't recall the last time I had such difficulty catching a legendary. 1HP + paralyzed and it instantly breaks out of every Ultra/Heavy ball.

Kyo

High Class Warrior
Donor
I believe Ho-Oh is actually just light enough to where Heavy Ball doesn't even help. If it does then it doesn't help all that much. It's very helpful against Lugia though.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I ended up getting it with a Heavy Ball. :twisted:

Just cleared the Victory Road. Pretty disappointing that there were no trainers within, but now have my team from 42-44. Gonna raise them each a bit more and then take on the league.

Symbiote

High Class Warrior
Level 50 was my level range for the E4 for this game.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I'm not even close yet. Gonna have to keep doing rematches I guess. I need Growlithe to hit level 48 to get Flare Blitz before I evolve it, and then I should be ready for the E4.