Rate the last Anime/Manga you finished out of 10

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Shameless ripoff of the "Rate the last film/TV series you saw out of 10" because this section needs some more activity. You can include series with long hiatuses as well if you've caught up to them.

Real - 7.5/10

Brilliant psychological introspection into the minds of people with life changing disabilities and very well written characters, though the actual game of basketball taking precedence over this in some of the later chapters makes the quality of the series somewhat uneven. Still the best of Inoue's 3 major works and the 2nd best sports manga I've read.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Rurouni Kenshi - 7.5/10

Monster - 7/10

I'd give reviews but I don't remember.

Wildt

I finished watching My Hero Academia, at least until the next season. I give it a solid 7/10. I was pleasently surprised by it.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Dareka no Manazashi - 5/10

The film's message was pretty simplistic, though well executed for what it was. I would've also preferred to see a film like this as the work of a rookie anime director rather than an accomplished one like Shinkai, though it's overall a better experience than some of his other works like Your Name due to keeping the story focused and short enough not to create huge plot holes like that movie. It did hit on an emotional level in regard to the cat, as I'm quite caring towards animals, cats in particular, and know all too well the pain of losing such pets. It also did a good job in having some quick yet understandable development for the girl to push the message of the film.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Battle Royale - 1/10

Read this if you want to get leukemia.

Satsuki

High Class Warrior
Retired Staff
Its not over yet but I caught up to the publishing schedule

Owari no Seraph - 9.5/10

I really love when stories take a biblical concept and makes it into something that is actually interesting as fuck.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Planetes (Manga) - 6.5/10

Good, realistic take on subverting the expectations of sci-fi and a technologically evolved age, as well as portraying themes regarding space and existentialism fairly well. However, the execution of the series was far too episodic in places beyond it's good character development, which stopped the plot from being engaging half way through. I'm a little over half way through the anime, but it already seems far better than the manga.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Planetes (Anime) - 8/10

A vast improvement on the manga, taking what made the original good and connecting all the episodic plot lines for a great finale. Some of the episodes throughout the first half of the series could be hit or miss, but all aided in developing the cast far beyond what the manga did and truly testing their ideals.Whilst it's a Seinen and the word "subversion" has become overused, it truly feels like a subversion of a standard Shonen story, with a good mix between idealistic and cynical characters along with having the former type's ambitions tested when their goals conflict with morality. The last few episodes are some of the best I've seen in any series, though the lack of major character deaths in the finale did make things seem a bit too convenient.

Pocket-Gog~

Super Elite
Hunter x Hunter - 9/10

Perhaps the best Shonen anime around, watch it if you like an emotional well written anime with a lot of twists and turns.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions - 1.5/10

Pretty much your generic YGO movie in all but animation. The plot's basically a rushed retread of Battle City that devolves into a Pyramid of Light retread during the last 20-30 minutes, not to mention having Atem appear but not speak was a massive cocktease when his voice in both Japanese and English is the main appeal of his character. Dimensional duels or whatever they're called are just a cheap, broken gimmick as well which fully embraces the "screw the rules" mentality. Only redeeming factors were some level of nostalgia and it being pretty funny to have another Joey/Jonouchi's creepy chin scene.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Kishibe Rohan Does Not Move: Millionaire Village - 5/10

Pretty generic JoJo story that doesn't offer anything new to Rohan's character or explain why exactly the "Mountain Gods" cared so much about manners or if they were just Stand Users, plus the last minute of it creates an inconsistency in having Koichi, Josuke and Okuyasu remain the same as in Part 4 despite taking place over a decade after it.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Battle Angel Alita - 8/10

Great atmosphere, art and world building, featuring one of the most well written female characters in fiction, nevermind Anime/Manga, as well as packing a lot of content and creativity into it's long run. Only things that hold it back from being rated any higher are that only Alita, Nova, Kaos and maybe Jashugan were well developed whilst the rest of the cast were pretty average, plus the ending is a cliffhanger that makes reading the sequel essential. There is also the original ending being rushed with it's time skip and pretentious with the flower symbolism, but that needn't be taken into account when it was retconned into being more akin to a sequel prototype.

Epicnessbeyond

Mid Class Warrior
Boku no Hero Academia Season 2 - 8/10
I thought most of this season was phenomenal with Stain being an absolutely amazing character. It kinda slows down for me in the slice of life parts though.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Dragon Ball Super - 1/10

Don't really need to explain the rating too much, given we have a plethora of threads for that, but to sum it up it's a retcon, plot hole filled mess that destroys what coherent in-universe logic still remained and is nothing but a cashgrab.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Captain Cadaver said:
Dragon Ball Super - 1/10

Don't really need to explain the rating too much, given we have a plethora of threads for that, but to sum it up it's a retcon, plot hole filled mess that destroys what coherent in-universe logic still remained and is nothing but a cashgrab.

:alex2

Makes me almost want to gaslight COH into joining this site so that he can argue with you about how glorious DBS is and how he thinks it doesn't get the respect it deserves in Japan

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Never forget that through CoH's brilliant analysis we know the Evil Dragon Arc of GT is 9/10 material. :troll

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
He also called the BSDB arc better than the Baby arc if I recall correctly. :manabu

Also, the Boo arc was the only Z arc he liked.

Pocket-God

Elite
HxH 2011 6/10

It has a lot of great characters. But it only had one arc that I really enjoyed, the rest were okay or mostly boring.