Rate the last Anime/Manga you finished out of 10

Warmmedown

Elite
One Punch Man 8/10
Can't really ask for much more from 12 episodes or much more for the first arc or so of a long-running series. Production value was through the roof - the Akira of 2014, in that regard.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Psyren: 1.5/10

Absolute dogshit.

Super Saiyan Overlord1007

High Class Warrior
I haven't read too much manga, but mangas I've finished.

Pokémon Adventures: X and Y Chapters - 6.5 - 7/10. This is my first outing with the Pokémon Special manga after I've heard all kinds of good things about it and how much better than the anime it is. I'm interested in the other game based chapters, but I feel like this wasn't a per se strong impression, or at least as strong as I was expecting.

Corpse Party: Blood Covered - 9/10. I REALLY enjoyed this, it stays faithful to the games (unlike the anime/live action movie/other variants of the manga). Since it's a more faithful adaptation of the game, it has the same ending more or less with a few changes and additions here and there. All that added I really liked, it fleshed out the characters as much as the game did and in similar manners, and all the changes they made were so miniscule that I felt it improved the manga and put it on the same level as the game.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team - 7/10

Had the makings of a great war drama, presenting characters on both sides with a lot of realism, likeable personalities and showing major figures of both factions as equally corrupt rather than having a bias against Zeon. All the characters received some level of development, though none of them had an arc that could be described as incredible, especially with the ending removing some necessary catharsis for most of them. The romance that drove most of the plot in the second half, whilst necessary in allowing the series' quality to shine, was still too rushed for me to call it good. Ginias was also a very bland antagonist, however, and whilst the themes regarding a few maternal and Freudian conflicts he had were an interesting idea, they were introduced too late into the series to be a good addition and with the time they were introduced, come off as the series just trying to copy Evangelion towards the end.

Warmmedown

Elite
Mob psycho 100

6/10 kinda repetitive, but well animated, with a top notch and appropriate soundtrack and quite a unique premise. A realistic coming of age element, which is quite rare in an anime, which are normally way less nuanced or not awkward enough (mind you, most anime is aimed at eternally fat basement dwellers, who dodge realism like the plague).

Pocket-Gog~

Super Elite
Kill La Kill, 8/10.

Doesn't aim to be anything more than a fun fast paced time, and it executes that almost perfectly.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Battle Angel Alita: Last Order - 9/10

This is exactly how you do a sequel. Not only does it increase the scale in power and the scope of the universe, transitioning for a cyberpunk action series into a sci-fi tournament, but is a step up in terms of writing and psychology with each new rival character or villain being more complex than the last. All the powers are well explained, leading to few if any asspulls, and characters of all teams and factions are given comparable amounts of exposure and focus to make things seem equalised and real. The tournament that takes place within it is easily the best in any anime/manga because of this and the ending feels both satisfying on it's own and good build up to the next instalment, Mars Chronicle. Only slightly negative things I can say about it are that the art isn't as good as the first part and it does somewhat trail off in pacing during the Alita Quest Arc at the end.

Super Saiyan Overlord1007

High Class Warrior
I'm still reading Pokémon Adventures and I feel like it's a tad bit overrated, it's not bad, but it doesn't live up to the hype for me.

RBG Chapter - Not bad, Red is overrated, he's cool, but he doesn't seems to that super cool badass the fanbase makes him out to be. So far this is probably my least favorite chapter that I've read

Yellow Chapter - This I thought was really good, so far my favorite.

GSC - I'm almost finished with it, but it's meh..this might be my least favorite by the time I'm done with it.

Ruby and Sapphire - I thought this was cool. My 2nd favorite behind the Yellow Chapter

XY - Where I started and with hindsight it's not bad, I'd say it's in the middle.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Captain Cadaver said:
Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions - 1.5/10

Pretty much your generic YGO movie in all but animation. The plot's basically a rushed retread of Battle City that devolves into a Pyramid of Light retread during the last 20-30 minutes, not to mention having Atem appear but not speak was a massive cocktease when his voice in both Japanese and English is the main appeal of his character. Dimensional duels or whatever they're called are just a cheap, broken gimmick as well which fully embraces the "screw the rules" mentality. Only redeeming factors were some level of nostalgia and it being pretty funny to have another Joey/Jonouchi's creepy chin scene.

Maybe they didn't want the scene where they stare down each other (for the 20 seconds Atem was actually onscreen) to have any more homoerotic undertones than it already did :shc

But yeah, the fact that the plot is so damn similar to that trash PoL movie was a downer, although even that one was better than BBT.

Satsuki

High Class Warrior
Retired Staff
Pokemon Sun & Moon - 8/10

Not actually done with it, but I really dig it. I was a fan of Lillie and Mao from the games and they are even better in the anime, especially Mao.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - 6/10

Had some excellent episodes and story arcs during the early and late episodes that helped it be a good war drama and sequel to the original, though the middle episodes felt like padding with little plot progression and the writers not being sure what to do with some of the returning characters like Amuro, who'd otherwise overshadow most of the main cast in terms of interest had he remained constantly there. Some of the character also tend to act inconsistent with rapid moodswings, though the nature of Newtypes excuses that for some of the cast. It's also somewhat disappointing that many of the interesting plot points were left inconclusive for the vastly inferior sequel ZZ, though the ending had enough permanent damage and deaths to it's cast to allow it's war drama aspect to be fulfilling.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack - 7.5/10

Whilst many find Char's actions in this film contradictive to his previous ideals, I'd say that wasn't true as it seemed to line up well with his opportunistic personality that was always prevalent and the conclusion of Zeta Gundam gives him a good reason for his change in actions. I did have problems with how the story arc was limited to just a film and how a lot of the time was stolen by an annoying character like Quess instead of Char and Amuro's conflict, but even her role in the story was written well in displaying the flaws of Newtypes and overall it was a great conclusion to the rivalry between Amuro and Char.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Mobile Suit Gundam: War in the Pocket - 8/10

Excellent war drama that shows a new side to the series, such as giving more focus on sympathetic Zeon characters, having a child character who actually thinks of plans rather than being annoying and having the character chemistry be more important than displaying the war drama through mech battles (the last of which has enough field tactics to be one of the best in the series).

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Pluto - 5.5/10

Despite having a grander scale in some ways to either of Urasawa's other two major works, Pluto fails to be anywhere near as good due to it's theme exploration being nowhere near as deep as Monster's or it's twists being as exciting as 20th Century Boys, not to mention the only interesting character was Gesicht and the ending was rushed. Still decent in expanding on the very simplistic Pluto Arc of Astro Boy, but undoubtedly Urasawa's bronze medal.

Flame

High Class Warrior
Yu-Gi-Oh! (1998)- 8.5/10

It was re-watch, but I was giving a short review as I watched it so I'll include it.

X/1999- 8ish/10

Good but needs to freaking finish

CroMagnumDVH

Low Class Warrior

Name of anime of this gif?

Y3j62Ll.gif

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory - 5/10

Fairly pointless intermediary side story between the original series and Zeta with completely bland archetypes for a cast and very little reason to exist when only the last episode ties into Zeta. Only worthwhile aspects to it were Gato being a somewhat effective villain and the Opening songs both being great.

Pocket-Gog~

Super Elite
Fist of the North Star - 7/10 (Pre time skip)

Fist of the Northstar is cheesy and melodramatic, but there's a sincerity to all of it, and the execution on all of the ideas make it stand out more than most animated works nowadays do. Despite it's bleak setting, and dark tone, Fist of the Northstar is an inspirational story about love, and hope even in the face of overwhelming despair. It's great fun.

Flame

High Class Warrior
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion - Rebellion (Movie 2): 9.5/10

Pretty dang good, I thought the new scenes were really cool. First time Schneizel ever took his coat off lol. But who cares about that dirtbag.