Rate the last Anime/Manga you finished out of 10

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
[mention]Supreme[/mention] The Inuyashiki manga's written by the creator of Gantz, so that provides a good idea what to expect from it :troll2.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I'm aware. Up until Phase 3 Gantz is quite an enjoyable manga. It completely degenerates in quality and coherency after that point becoming intolerable. If Inuyashiki is anything similar to early Gantz then I'm willing to read it.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
From what I've seen and heard, it's more comparable to Gantz's run as a whole - interesting premise, but meandering for its mid point and having a really dumb ending.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
It's not even 100 chapters so it's really no big loss if it sucks.

Warmmedown

Elite
You might think it's not that good, seeing as most of the written reviews I saw on MAL give it a low score. There are plot points that are left unexplained or cut out events that would probably realistically happen (towards the end), but the pacing is good, it's funny when it wants to be and the characters served their purpose of making me think about life and death very well. The negative reviews don't like the goofiness, dislike some things being left unexplained (which I personally liked, because not every mystery in life gets an explanation, especially when it pertains to human behaviour), accuse it of being "cheesy" (this one probably surprised me the most), complain about their not being enough action (it's not a battle series) and dislike the amount of death or that kids might get killed (which to me is a positive, because kids get killed all the time in reality). I'll be vague, but there was an emotional scene that was, compared other shows, was quite long for what it was, which some used to as a criticism, but for me the fact it was longer than usual made me think more about how long I'd be willing to spend before giving up in said circumstances, which isn't something other shows achieved when showing the same sort of scene. All in all, if I wanted to go into pretentious edgelord mode and pick it apart I might give it a lower score, like a 5 or 6, because the sum of its impact was greater than I'd expect if looking at individual elements of it in isolation. Still would barely change anything, because for me it probably achieved what the creator was aiming for.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
What kind of loser would think a child being killed negatively affects the story? That's some soft shit lol

Warmmedown

Elite
Promised Neverland Season 1:
7.5/10

Was gonna give a 7 but the last couple of episodes upped it. It's easy to forget it's an anime, until Killua's knockoff speaks. Some really good scary parts early and mid-way through. Defo looking forwards to Season 2

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
[mention]Warmmeup[/mention] where in the story does S1 end?

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
How many seasons are there? Compared to where I'm at in the manga, that happened ages ago.

Warmmedown

Elite
Only one. Season 2 comes out Jan 2021 - was originally October 2020, but covid19 delayed it. There's supposed to be a movie in December 2020 too, which hasn't been announced as delayed yet.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
The Promised Neverland: 5/10

I thought the first arc was pretty great. The tension was constantly high, and it felt like a very tactical chess match where every move had consequences. Very entertaining to read through. After the first arc it unfortunately started devolving into overused, weak shonen tropes instead of maintaining that tactical feel. I'd go more in depth but don't want to spoil Wolf.

Warmmedown

Elite
Hideout - 7/10 - Good, short horror about a man stuck in an underground cave with a monster. Some of the horror panels are really well done (as in they're genuinely a little frightening and sometimes catch you by surprise) and the art is more detailed than in most manga. The pacing and balance between the present and showing the MC's backstory made it an easy read.

The ending was quite predictable and the whole scenario itself is hard to imagine actually being possible. Characters aside from MC are quite one-dimensional and exist to antagonise MC or showcase his character.

https://myanimelist.net/manga/28361/Hideout

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Vagabond: 7/10

Overall I thought this manga got off to a brilliant start for the first 100-150 chapters or so. Musashi's journey of growth and transformation was definitely compelling and captivating the entire way. The flashback fleshing out Kojiro left a sour taste considering how long it was for what felt like little reward. Had Kojiro actually progressed as a character during the flashback it would have been more tolerable, but he was no different at the end of it than he was as a child. It could have been reduced to 10 chapters really. After this, the Yoshioka battle was pretty great, but that's about where Vagabond's quality ended. The art deteriorated quickly and the story felt like it lacked meaning after this. The farming arc was another one that felt like it could have been reduced at least in half, and it wouldn't have impacted the story at all. Having considered all of this, I'd probably rate the story closer to a 6.5, but the beginning being so great + the art (when it was good) bump it up to a 7.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Inuyashiki: 6/10

Pretty solid story all around. Oya seems to struggle writing particularly deep characters, but the story alone was quite good. He's not afraid to have a sad ending to his manga which was nice. Oya's art is also top-notch.

Uzumaki: 7/10

Really enjoyed this. Horror manga definitely isn't my thing, but this was pretty great.

ahill1

Super Elite
Donor
My friend started reading uzumaki and wanted me to read it as well. He was like "read it to discuss it with me bro!!". Cool that you've just read it.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
It's only ~620 pages total for a pretty decent story. Definitely recommend it.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Gantz G: 3/10. Pretty fucking terrible story but entertaining nonetheless.

Onanie Master Kurosawa: 7/10. This one surprised me. When I read the description on MAL I figured it would be a complete joke, but it actually was a pretty great story that was only 31 chapters. Art was sketchy at times.

Tapion

High Class Warrior
Rurouni Kenshin: :withheld being the author aside, you can't deny this series' got some fucking striking characterization. 7.5/10

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Berserk 1997: 7/10

Man, this could have been close to a 10/10 had they not emitted several key moments from the Golden Age, such as Wyald. The ending as well was pretty terrible, ending directly in the middle of the eclipse with no Skull Knight coming to the rescue, so I guess we are to believe that Guts died then and there? I'm not sure why the Skull Knight wasn't in the anime either. Beyond those glaring issues, this was an adaptation that was faithful to the manga in every sense imaginable, and did a great job of bringing the Golden Age to life.

Debating whether or not I'll burn my retinas with 2016/17 now.