Since the bandwagon for this has appeared...

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Can you comment on the chapters you haven't read of my GT rewrite soon? I'm a bit busy this weekend so there won't be a new chapter, but I'd like to know your thoughts.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
@Keedounan Read what's available there and, yeah, it's absolutely terrible. It'd be one thing if Clem was forced to leave Wellington due to it getting sieged/destroyed or if it focused on her and the world after the end of the original TWD comic, but her leaving for such a petty reason as "I'm not happy" in a world where even living to the next day can seem like a luxury? :punk
Definitely a contender for how spinoff can shoot itself in the foot in terms of franchise integrity in record time. Even Goku's characterisation in Super makes more sense than this.

@Wǒ dǒngle There's quite a few reasons for why I rank AnJ so high. The most obvious one would be its realistic and often dark portrayal of the boxing lifestyle such as financial issues/organisation biases, the physical pain of cutting down to a weight class and the potential fatalities that can occur in the ring. Its character writing is also great as, despite not being overly complex, its main cast have a lot of depth to them and are very well developed. It also succeeds in evoking a sense of inspiration in the actions of its characters such as Rikiishi's intense weight loss training or Joe's gradual change and ambition, as well as immersing the audience in what was at the time the lifestyle of young adults in Japan.
Despite it taking my vote as best manga, I will say the anime for Ashita no Joe 2 is the ideal way to view the series after the Rikiishi Arc though due to additional moments of characterisation and Dezaki adding a great touch of additional realism and definition to the art style.

@Fantastische Hure Regardless of the impact nostalgia has on my view of it, the track does a great job at fitting the role of a triumphant victory and the payoff it provides. Far from unique in that regard, but fulfils its purpose well.

@Kenshi My free time will be fairly limited until the end of the week, so it probably won't be until then that I'll get back around to reading them. I haven't forgotten about them though, being about halfway through the first of those chapters.

Keedounan

Elite
@Keedounan Read what's available there and, yeah, it's absolutely terrible. It'd be one thing if Clem was forced to leave Wellington due to it getting sieged/destroyed or if it focused on her and the world after the end of the original TWD comic, but her leaving for such a petty reason as "I'm not happy" in a world where even living to the next day can seem like a luxury? :punk
Definitely a contender for how spinoff can shoot itself in the foot in terms of franchise integrity in record time. Even Goku's characterisation in Super makes more sense than this.
It doesn't help that literally everything in the game contradicts this claim that she's supposedly not happy. Oh, oh, and it's not even half of it.

Just take a look at the condensed expo: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheWalkingDeadGame/comments/ombtks
So far, it seems all we can expect is a rehash of The Final Season with extra emphasis on Clem being an LGBT character.

:punk

Last edited:

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
It's a very good movie showing how power corrupts as well as having some good subtleties in character writing and a lot of stand-out scenes, a particular favourite being the "Bad guy" monologue in the restaurant. For gangster films, I'd say it's 2nd or 3rd best (The Irishman taking the top spot and Goodfellas being more or less as good as Scarface), though as far as emotional ranking goes it's probably my favourite of such films.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Your thoughts on ur current pm?
He's at best the poor man's version of Churchill or Thatcher with him presenting some very flawed totalitarian decisions, and at worst an oligarchal shill simply going along with broader governmental plans and not benefitting the British public as a whole with his continual lockdown or undermining their vote with the continuing pushback of a final decision regarding Brexit (which, whilst I've already expressed my issues with leaving, it was what the majority of the public clearly voted for).
Does Gill have more depth and character than anyone on Dragon Ball Super?
Definitely. A mole who gradually became attached to his companions before rebelling against the main villains and tricking them is way more of a concise and dynamic character arc than anything seen in Super that either has its characters remain the same or morphs them into poor caricatures.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
What are your stances on polygamy/adultery and what men and women with such urges can do to prevent it and raise children in a stable household?

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
They overall serve no positive to society's stability, especially when concerning the upbringing of children. As far as preventing them, the only surefire method for preventing people doing either is to bring back severe punishments or reprimands for those committing it as was the case up to as late as the mid 20th Century or, in the cases of those not 100% culpable for their actions through issues such as nymphomania, receive the proper medical and psychological care they can get to overcome these urges.
As going back to the same level of severity with how far astray modern society is from the past though, the best way to deal with adultery by modern judicial standards would be for divorce to be heavily skewered in favour of the party cheated on if they can provide proof of the affair, with the fear of financial loss and limited parental rights making sure spouses think twice before cheating.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
wot do u think of this music (if u can & want to listen/answer)? i still prefer setsunasa biggest-dreamer to omoi/piano vers. but piano vers. is gr9 too i think.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
@Fantastische Hure The first track is decent in capturing its tone. The instrumental version of The Biggest Dreamer seems a little unfitting as its certainly one song I wouldn't associate with a slow, sad piano rendition. The 3rd one is probably my favourite of the bunch due to my preference towards more jazz elements. 4th track is okay, but a bit too standard compared to similar upbeat tracks. The 5th one is probably the most repetitive, though I appreciate the unique elements of it, particularly with the name alone being something you probably wouldn't be able to get away with nowadays :alex2.

@Keedounan The majority of the video is good, despite not going as deep in analysing the trope as could be, with it pointing out the main factors that led towards it being created and utilised. Aside from there being a few oversimplifications or not taking into account the divide between different portions of the franchise when it came to the section on Goku, the only major issue I'd find in it would be the idea that people are quick to label a character a Mary Sue due to their gender being far from true 99% of the time as I've yet to hear criticism of a character fitting the protagonist role or position a male usually held on that alone, Ripley from Aliens being the main example of a character celebrated for just that. When it comes to those labelled a Mary Sue by many such as Rey from Star Wars or the MCU version of Captain Marvel, there's usually an accurate reason for it with aspects such as how these characters break the rules of the world. When it comes to analysing those aspects of the Mary Sue and pointing out the variety of cases that can still validly count as one, Literature Devil's videos on why Rey is a Mary Sue and Luke Skywalker isn't as well as his one on if Mary Sues can have flaws are more detailed and comprehensive deep dives on the topic.

@GreatSaiyaman123 It's mainly just a celebration of an older era of Hollywood done by Hollywood. Okay if wanting to see a few tributes to famous stars, but not much more than that.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
according to chiaki j. konaka there is a reason for name i think:

There’s a song in the soundtrack called “Digital African”. It’s a name that you wouldn’t normally be able to conceive, going along with the “wild beasts in the network”. Among Arisawa-san’s music for this series, we wanted to emphasize that point, didn’t we?
source:digi-lab.blog/digimon-tamers-blu-ray-box-special-cast-and-staff-interview-2018/
also chiaki j. konaka didn't like biggest-dreamer at 1st? :wat:wat:wat
To be honest, when they showed me the demo for “The Biggest Dreamer” and told me that this would be the demo for the song, I remember being rather disappointed about it. The reason was that I’d really liked the rock sound from Adventure and 02, but here we had a very pounding and in-your-face 16-beat instrumental.

But I’ve been through countless experiences of taking my first impressions back like this. As I continued listening to it, Kouji Wada-san’s singing vocals were not only powerful enough to hear the kind of conviction that boosts confidence, but also had a sense of pain to it.

For the Digimon audience, the series’s most immortal song is “Butter-Fly”. Personally, I like the “Strong Version”, which brings it down a semitone and has only the guitar (a keyboard-less hard rock arrangement), but the one that moved me the most is probably the “Theater Version” with the a cappella.

As far as the music itself goes, taking out personal attachment related to being directly involved, my personal favorite is 02‘s “Target ~Red Shock~“, which is more of a hard rock song than the more oldies rock-n’-roll-styled “Butter-Fly”. Moreover, “Target” even happens to have a progressive development in its interlude, with an unusual time signature.

Like “Target”, “The Biggest Dreamer” was composed and arranged by Michihiko Ohta-san, and had an even more dramatic pace to it than there ever had been before. So, of course, once I’d gotten to listen to it, I inevitably ended up listening to it every day.

source:digi-lab.blog/about-tamers-op-eds-and-insert-songs/