Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Assuming they're indeed bringing Super DLC into the game, I can see why they'd just skip over the U6 tournament to get to Zamasu, seeing as how the tournament doesn't really provide much in terms of exploration when it's just a series of fights whereas Zamasu (particularly the anime version of the arc) provided enough moments of respite to fill with substories and other content.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
I wonder if the ToP DLC or sequel or whatever will have the matches use the mechanics of a horde battle? Only real way to do a battle royale in this game, really.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
If they're putting in horde battles right now as a precursor to that, then it'd be a really good way of conveying the ToP. Hopefully they make it so that enemies can attack each other unless part of the same universe in order to maintain the battle royale aspect though.

Future Warrior

Elite
Captain Cadaver said:
Assuming they're indeed bringing Super DLC into the game, I can see why they'd just skip over the U6 tournament to get to Zamasu, seeing as how the tournament doesn't really provide much in terms of exploration when it's just a series of fights whereas Zamasu (particularly the anime version of the arc) provided enough moments of respite to fill with substories and other content.

They don't have to retell the arc, they could just have a way for us to fight the competitors like Hit.

I wonder if they're gonna make any more higher transformations like Blue Kaio-Ken and UI. Goku and Vegeta are already far and away dimensions above every other character, but I guess that's pretty accurate to the source material.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
So, I played through the new substories and they're okay. Each of them is successive to the previous one, essentially making it closer to a mini-arc rather than unconnected quests.

First one has Galu searching for supplies for a Freeza Force soldier from Planet Temp who's using them to buy time to get the Dragon Balls to revive Freeza. Eventually, he decides to come clean to Goku due to his kind heart (and the soldier's love of Earth women making him not want the planet to be destroyed), with Goku instead just reviving Freeza and his soldiers as sparring partners as with previous side quests. Seems that Freeza will just be alive and hanging around should they adapt the ToP. One thing I like about this substory is that the Planet Temp soldier is working for Freeza as part of a contract he has with the planet with them recommending his services, further fleshing out the business side of the Freeza Force that isn't explored often.

Second substory is Present Trunks having trained in secret :)troll) and wanting to fight against his dad, thus being far more in line with his Boo Arc characterisation than Super has been. Jheese interrupts the training for a grudge match against Vegeta, gets stomped and runs off in shame. It's suggested Trunks indeed made huge gains when Vegeta made it apparent he wasn't pulling his punches during their sparring. Jheese shows up again with Zarbon, Dodoria and Cui to help him out...which obviously makes zero difference and he just ends up blasting off again Team Rocket style. Not much to this substory beyond at least not pushing the kids to the background as Super does and the exchange between Vegeta and Trunks towards the end being pretty funny.

The third substory is just Goku and Vegeta finding Zarbon and Dodoria, fighting them and discovering Freeza's been going through a new training regime to become far stronger. You fight him and it's made apparent he hasn't improved that much in so little time. At the end, he decides he'll be a regular sparring partner to Goku until he's capable of defeating him, which unlocks a new gimmick of the mode in which you fight Freeza with him becoming progressively stronger each time you win and offering sacred waters as a reward, essentially being an amped up version of what the Whis battles were in the previous DLC but without bonus requirements, as well as some similarities to the "Challenge the God of Destruction" battles since you can't use healing items.

Future Warrior

Elite
Had a lot of fun beating Lvl 300 Golden Freeza as Ultimate Gohan. Haven't made much luck with Piccolo and Future Trunks at their current levels.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
So how would a Future Trunks arc DLC go? They just give a new character portrait of Trunks with the blue hair and getup, give him SSJ2/Ikari forms and put a party of Galu, Vegeta and Trunks under a series of fights against Black and Future Zamasu?

I hope it takes the manga's depiction of Trunks vs. Dabura and makes that the first fight in the DLC

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
I'd assume it'd make the most of the breaks in between the two retreats back to the main timeline as well as the time before the first trip to include a large amount of substories, considering reworking some character moments such as Trunks judging the differences in this timeline's Gohan or #18 as something ripe for being milked as in-game events. Dabura being alive in Kakarot's continuity also adds in a substory against him such as Trunks sparring with him in order to make sure he can protect those he cares for now to make up for his failure in protecting Shin.

Perhaps they'll rewrite it for Gohan to have an active role when considering the FnF DLC presented him as not weakening by much like his tracksuit self had, but that's wishful thinking. Maybe there'll be a part of the story or a substory where Trunks spars with him to grow stronger at least.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Dabura's only alive if you bothered to go to New Namek and revive him though.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Which the game treats as mandatory in the FnF DLC with the narrator explaining Freeza was revived by Galu as a sparring partner.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Is it actually required to play the FnF DLC? I'm pretty sure the only requirement was for you to have played the BoG DLC and unlocked SSJG by sparring against Beerus.

If it is mandatory though, that's all the more reason why Kakarot is far above anything the franchise produced after Z. It explained Freeza, Cell and Dabura's GAINZ by saying their potential was unlocked and didn't specify the training regimen was only a mere 4 months when Freeza invaded Earth, making Freeza being a challenge to level 250 SSJBs somewhat easier to swallow.

I'm still barely at level 110 because I hadn't played Kakarot since March, though. Just barely getting past the Villainous enemies with Ultra Healades and the occasional Senzus so I can be strong enough for Whis' higher levels of training. I'll complete the FnF DLC around.... maybe mid December. :ladd

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
I'm not sure if it's mandatory to do, but the game treats it as part of its own canon by clearly showing Goku wishing to revive Freeza via Porunga. Since the wish also included reviving Cell and Dabura, that makes them upon for being used in the FT Arc DLC.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
It'd be interesting to see Cell being killed by Trunks in his perfect form. Though since none of the blue-colored sidequests involve the death of revived villains I doubt it'll be much more than Trunks just beating Cell up.

Pocket-Gog~

Super Elite
Kenshi said:
It'd be interesting to see Cell being killed by Trunks in his perfect form. Though since none of the blue-colored sidequests involve the death of revived villains I doubt it'll be much more than Trunks just beating Cell up.
Trunks beats up Cell, Jaco takes him to the Galactic patrol prison. While in prison Cell becomes Moro and that's the Kakarot canon for how the Moro arc starts. :kenshi

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
On the subject of revived villains, it's pretty surprising the FnF DLC ignored King Cold still being alive. I guess the DLC treats Goku's wish as canon but not Gohan's? Either that, or Freeza got extra salty after Cold decided "Fatherhood with Freeza ended, Gohan is my son now." :troll

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
It's most likely because Cold only exists as a character model in the overworld, and not as an enemy boss

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
They could've still included him in a non-combative role akin to Sorbet's (without the SSB tier ring idiocy, obviously), likely observing the fight comfortably and either surrendering after Freeza's defeat or being killed by Goku or Vegeta before he could do anything.

Future Warrior

Elite
Captain Cadaver said:
They could've still included him in a non-combative role akin to Sorbet's (without the SSB tier ring idiocy, obviously), likely observing the fight comfortably and either surrendering after Freeza's defeat or being killed by Goku or Vegeta before he could do anything.

These last 2 DLCs focused more on the gameplay side of things than the story. They didn't want to go through the effort of using a useless model for pretty much nothing.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
I can't really see a plausible scenario in which Galu kills Cold. He'd have to try to destroy the planet at least before Galu jumps to that extreme, and they already did a cutscene where Freeza (temporarily) succeeded in doing that. Not to mention Cold would have to train too to be a threat, and putting in dialogue confirming that and making him a presence in the story (whether he's a boss or otherwise) is, again, money wasted on mostly nothing.

Symbiote

High Class Warrior
Decided to finally finish this. Gonna have to fight some fodders to relearn the controls so I don’t get mollywhopped.