ma chat topic

Warmmedown

Elite
How often are you having yerba mate? Do you notice anything negative from it?

And awesome man, good luck in that interview. Kill it
I've had it like 50% of days for a couple weeks. I've not noticed anything negative at all so far.

Thanks, will do.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
@Warmmedown still having yerba mate? If so is it still working the same way? If not did you substitute it with anything?

Warmmedown

Elite
I've not had it for a few weeks, just because I couldn't be bothered to boil it in a pan and then forgot about it (I fasted some days this month too, so there's that). You can put boiling water straight in the mug and drink it eat any leaves you accidentally get in your mouth to be fair (although I felt like this wasn't as strong as boiling it), or get an infuser, but yeh I've just not had it. I've had coffee sometimes recently (just more convenient to make), but it's a bit risky.

I've been having very high-strength B vitamins, but tbh I don't think it does anything, although there's no reason to stop taking them.

You still thinking of testing dynamine?

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
So you can switch between caffeine and caffeine free seamlessly? That's quite lucky if so. Even after almost 2 weeks of quitting tea use I still felt sluggish as fuck and uncoordinated. Why is coffee risky?

And not currently, no. Tea is sufficing for the time being and I'm trying to stop drinking caffeine even earlier in the day for increased deep sleep. Pretty hard on days when I'm getting up before 4am but most days it's doable. Sleep is the most important thing for me.

Warmmedown

Elite
Yeh. Maybe I haven't had it enough days in a row to get addicted to it? I dunno if I'd say the same if I had an energy drink or coffee every day for months, say. Well the last time I had coffee it gave me diarrhea later, so yeh lol. Sometimes it weirdly makes me sleepy too, but that's not as bad.

How many teas do you normally have per day? How do you decide when to have them?

I actually got a private referral done to an ADHD team a week or so ago (via the NHS. There's a thing where you can refer to private services for certain conditions. Only found out about it from reddit, even the NHS GPs/admins weren't aware it's a thing).

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Have you ever been addicted to caffeine at any point? Maybe you're one of those anomalies that can quit without any side effects even with relatively significant use.

I usually have a large cup in the morning, and the same size at 1-2pm. The green tea in the morning is a bit higher caffeine and the mid day one is lower. Usually I hit a bit of a wall after lunch and the second cup helps alleviate that.

You got referred or has it already happened? What made you seek that out?

Warmmedown

Elite
Have you ever been addicted to caffeine at any point? Maybe you're one of those anomalies that can quit without any side effects even with relatively significant use.

I usually have a large cup in the morning, and the same size at 1-2pm. The green tea in the morning is a bit higher caffeine and the mid day one is lower. Usually I hit a bit of a wall after lunch and the second cup helps alleviate that.

You got referred or has it already happened? What made you seek that out?
Never addicted to it, nah. I've always tried to use it sparingly so that I won't build tolerance or get addicted - like only when I can't stay awake, have some important event or I might get an energy drink when hanging out. And I'll sometimes use nicotine gum instead. Although sometimes I think I should give up on waiting for super important days to use it and just use it more regularly. Maybe I can get away with having it 1-2 times a week without getting tolerance? Never looked into it tbh.

I built tolerance really quickly to weed (couldn't get high for years, even though I smoked it the exact same way Last time I managed to get high I was holding it in my lungs for like 60 seconds at a time and just breathing in more and more weed smoke. Then I was like "I don't even like this feeling" so haven't had it since. Fuck regularly putting smoke in my lungs anyway) and mephedrone (took two times to get tolerance). Not sure if it was bad anaesthetic or the dentist fucking up, but when I got my filling redone the first dose of anaesthetic didn't work and he had to administer a second one (and then started drilling maybe 10 seconds later, so it didn't have time to work. I was like "was that supposed to hurt?" and he was like "no" and "I've already finished drilling now so there's no point". Then my mouth finally went numb after he was finished lol). So I've always assumed I develop tolerances quickly.

Do you feel the green tea just after drinking it? Or is it more like you just notice that you feel better for the next few hours than when you don't drink it?

I got referred and now I have to fill in a load of online forms (which I've like 1/3rd done) and then when I'm done they'll give me an appointment for an assessment, which I guess would be in like six months (NHS is a few times slower).
I've been aware it's a decent possibility for like six years, bit of a pain to get it done since it's poorly recognised here and most doctors don't know about it. I just read the symptoms and posts on ADHD forums and was like wtf because it was so relatable. I always didn't study in school and find it hard to concentrate unless it's pretty much an emergency and then I work a few times faster. Like I just did a 50 minute written thing and my brain only kicked in when I had 10-15 min left and was like "fuck". I was always quite messy (eg desk and room, more according to other people than according to me. I do that thing where I have temporary piles and then they become permanent) and just took all my books to school all the time, because I forgot them too often otherwise. The kinds of mistakes I made in maths were pretty dumb too, like the same small careless ones from primary school to A-level (which is part of why I dislike multiple choice tests, compared to doing like an 8 mark question where if you do a dumb mistake you can still get 7 marks if the rest of the method was correct), like people who are way below my maths level (eg people who failed or barely passed GCSE, which is the level before A-level) won't make those mistakes. Time management and sense of time are both fucked up, like I'll think it's 10 min and it's like an hour lol (had this problem/benefit (depending on how much it cut into my sleep) when doing judo...like at home could do "15 min" of drilling and then check the time and it's really like 2 hours or so). Obviously my sleep, since I've had insomnia of some sort for as long as I can remember (so like 26 years), which can be due to my brain not shutting off or maybe my circadian rhythm is delayed (which isn't ADHD, but they're often comorbid). And generally forgetting what I'm saying mid-sentence, missing parts of conversations/movies, my mind goes on tangents a lot and one of the main negatives I got on report cards was being "absent-minded". Can rarely bring myself to sit through a movie anyway - I'll usually get bored and end up doing something else and similar for meals, like my mind wanders a lot or I'll just get up and do something else, used to have a similar problem when getting dressed for school or for/after PE. Not sure if it's normal, but sitting still without moving/fidgeting for like 10 seconds is super hard, like I feel some tension building lol and it makes it much harder to concentrate if I can't move. I always walk when on the phone, like even if it's a 90 min phone call (this might be normal tbf, although from online people claim it's usually due to anxiety, which it definitely isn't. Just hard to sit for that long/it's easier to listen/talk walking around). Pretty much skim read almost 100% of what I read. Just daily forgetting random stuff like where you just put stuff, why you went into the other room (fuck adverts and youtube recommendations for this too. I'll just close my eyes on the home page so I don't see anything), forgetting items or needing to write stuff down since my working memory is so bad (actually helps in workplaces where you have paper available, because I end up missing nothing since I wrote it all down somewhere. If it's a job where you can't write stuff down then you might have a problem) and background noises distract the fuck out of me. I always get interested in stuff for like 2-3 months and then move onto something else. I definitely talk a lot once the social anxiety's gone, like I've annoyed the fuck outta some friends, but idk for sure for that. Some other things too, but eh.

Warmmedown

Elite
Would you rather
win an oscar
or
shoot the winning goal for your country in the world-cup on the 11th hour
?

@Warmmedown
Nnv
Wtf, can't delete those random letters above, even with the undo button. Think it's because I clicked the button next to the save button (in the three dots).
Probably an Oscar, because I'd rather be an actor than a footballer. But the goal would be more significant in history and way more people would care in the moment, so if I don't get to be an actor or footballer long-term, then I'd choose the goal easily.

Dan kokoro
Curtis

Warmmedown

Elite
can't say I've paid attention, especially the last couple of months or so. More of the same trajectory as before. He's inherited a lot of problems (crashed economy, struggling public services, brexit trade difficulties, energy prices), although he was high up in government before so I guess he had some part to play. I suppose the biggest things I see in the media are 1. "Levelling Up", which is supposed to level up infrastructure across UK communities and bridge gaps between poorer and richer areas of the country, but idk if it's good yet. Nottingham got rejected for some stuff, like a new housing/hotel/hospitality area and a new shopping centre (knocked down the old ages ago, but don't have the money to finish knocking it down and to build a new one lol. There's a sign on a street I saw near the "castle" that says it'll be finished in 2021, which is funny. We have another shopping centre anyway (both built in the 70s) and the one that was knocked down was always like half full empty units and closing down sales (which was good for finding cheap stuff I suppose) for several years prior to being knocked down. Think it's becoming some public area/greenspace/skatepark now, if they find the money. Tbf here's a poor city, but there are crappy smaller towns that probably need projects funded more). I know there's been some criticism that the SE got more funding than much poorer regions, but per capita at least some, if not all, of those poorer regions did get more and I'm sure the SE isn't all affluent, like some seaside towns are pretty crappy. Tbf I'm fairly hopeful that it'll do some good. 2. Trying or claiming to try (could be trying. Keeping it as it can be politically beneficial too, because it provides a distraction/scapegoat for other issues) to reduce English Channel crossings. 3. his wife's business dealings/potential conflicts of interest eg her family signing a deal with BP before the North Sea licenses were granted and Infosys. 4. Wanting everyone to do maths until 18. 5. The strikes and public sector pay rises, though the strikes started slightly before he became PM.
Hmmm he's said American Bully XL dogs will be banned. That's probably good, pretty sure I signed a petition for it (from the linked page)...been loads of people killed or attacked by that one species in the last year or something, seen it reported over 50% of dog deaths were from that breed in the last couple years. They're literally bred to be aggressive and muscular, plus the people who get them are normally idiots.

Last edited: