Netflix live action series

Warmmedown

Elite
Pretty cool. This video (saw it on Facebook) got me to finally get back to logging in here.

The way he stares at him lol. He got really emotional when Oda said he can't imagine anyone else playing Luffy.

Warmmedown

Elite
Just watched 7 minutes of it. Honestly pretty good. So far only seen Luffy from the SHs, but he seems good. Coby's actor seems good too.

Warmmedown

Elite
Lmao got to the first fight scene and it's funny enough I had to pause it lol. The effects aren't bad, but it's weird seeing him do the rubber movements. I'm wondering if it was supposed to be goofy in the manga too...like Zoro's sword in his mouth is definitely supposed to be goofy.
Actually it's not just the rubber stuff, but his whole nonchalant and kinda vacuous demeanour while fighting lol. He really looks like he's having fun while fighting...captures luffy really well.

Last edited:

Warmmedown

Elite
FUCK Zoro just cut someone in half. WHAT THE FUCK MAN NOBODY DIES IN ONE PIECE - YAMARO!

Warmmedown

Elite
Fuck the automatic live-action haters and negative nancies (inb4 I get to ep 2 and hate it). Seems like the vast majority of people not on this forum think it's quite good. Seen a few people who never watched/read OP say they liked it too, which maybe shows they did a good job making adjustments to target those people.
Gotta watch it as its own show to some extent, not get hung up on whether it's 100% the same as the anime...just like Spiderman movies are good without matching the comic 100% or a movie and TV show have different limitations. It's more like "let's see how they try to make it work in live action".

Also, it's doing well in Japan: https://www.animesenpai.net/what-do-japanese-fans-think-of-one-piece-live-action-series/

Zoro moves like Max
ufc-holloway.gif

Last edited:

Warmmedown

Elite
@Fantastische Hure watch it you dork. You followed the build up and watched a bunch of the promotional content. The IMDB dropped to 8.5. F.

I read that Arlong Park wasn't done so well in some small ways that lessened the emotional impact Eg
the reason for destroying Nami's map room, the villagers knowing about Nami collecting money
but that Syrup Village and Baratie were done really well.

Also read that they planned on 10 episodes, but had to cut it to 8 because Netflix only wants 8 episode shows (I remember End of the F***ing World having 8 episodes per season).

Wonder how many new fans it can bring in.

Fantastische Hure

Zeta Elite
It's top 10 most-watched right-now I think. Netflix'll most likely continue...until Eiichiro Oda disowns it, when he reveals that Netflix kept him & his family captive unless he praises the show.

Warmmedown

Elite
It'll be be 5 when u give it your approval

My cousin watched the first ep and hasn't seen the anime before and said it was "actually alright".

That was never Oda. It was Kubo, who's sabotaging One Piece. Iñaki is Kishimoto's nephew.

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
My brother says he doesn’t want to watch this.

Warmmedown

Elite
The ending of the Shanks stuff was definitely better in the anime. Hard for a child actor to match the animation combined with high-level adult voice acting...Shanks losing an arm wasn't so dramatic. It's a definite negative that they didn't do the "the men before you are pirates" part, but instead had a bit more of a fight scene for Shanks' crew.
I do like the way it's structured, as in it transitions back and forth between flashbacks and the current story. It's hard to fit 14-15 hours of anime into 8 hours, but they've done a more than decent job.

Even though the general level is good, I do wonder if they'll hit any of the emotional highs of the anime properly, because so far I don't feel like they have. The fight choreography and cinematography are both great though - the choreography surprised me, because a lot of Hollywood has bad fight choreography.

Actors so far who are super great: Helmeppo, Luffy, Buggy(?), Coby
Actors so far who are great: Zoro, Nami
Actors ok: Kid Luffy, Garp, Morgan, Kid Luffy (for a kid), Shanks
Actors not as ok: Alvida