What have you been watching in the past 7 days?

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Remember that there was a thread like this for reading manga, though not one for watching anime. You know what to do from the title.

Turn A Gundam - Up to episode 10. It's somewhat steampunk setting and further balance between the justifications of both sides than other Gundam series makes it pretty interesting, though it's slow pace to get to know the characters better makes it a more arduous watch than prior Gundam series I've seen. Still, it's somewhat cold war tension of both sides constantly juggling between armistice and conflict makes it something to keep my interest in watching.

Rurouni Kenshin - Watched a fair bit of it due to it being on Netflix and currently up to the part in the Kyoto Arc just after Sannosuke trains with Anji. Whilst I'm aware the anime falls short due to entering filler :trash mode after this arc, what it adapts from the canon is just as good as the manga and is good for helping me remember how well done the arc was.

Tekkaman Blade - Watched this after Kenshi recommended it several times. It's pretty interesting to see how this was a gritty reboot of a kid's anime from the 70s and from what I've heard it's one of the few series to handle the idea of a special hybrid right, plus the invasive bug aliens making humanity on the verge of extinction idea is a nice idea that made Blue Gender interesting to watch. Only watched the first four episodes and I can't say it's off to the best start, with a slow pace, it's protagonist having very selective amnesia and one of the main cast being a tranny who's there just because, but hopefully it'll get much better.

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
I've been watching Urusei Yatsura for the last one or two weeks and I'm up to 60 episodes right now. I gotta say that it's just like Ranma version IMO. Attaru kinda reminds me if Roshi wasn't a martial artist and lives in the city so that makes him a chasing the girls as a pervert.

While it's a funny comedy anime for me but the fact that Attaru doesn't find Lum (who is an alien hottie) attractive and hot enough for him despite being a pervert still bothers and he only realised it after Lum dumped but still ignore her after another episode. Maybe it's just an anime version lol.

sei'taer

High Class Warrior
I never got into Turn A. I'm not sure if the slower pace was the reason or I was just burnt out on mecha after watching like 5 gundam series in a row. I'll give it a try again someday. A lot of people really like it.

The only show I've been watching this season is the SAO spinoff. Though shows like Megalo Box and Golden Kamui have piqued my interest. I have a ton of friends that really like Darling in the Franxx, but that seems like waifu worship to me.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
sei'taer said:
Though shows like Megalo Box and Golden Kamui have piqued my interest.
Megalo Box seems OK, though unless one of it's characters dies or is permanently damaged, it won't be anywhere close to the boxing masterpiece of Ashita no Joe that it's a spinoff of. Also, Megalo Boxing is a pretty questionable practice when boxing with metal limbs would realistically be fatal and such physics aren't completely overlooked in the original.
Golden Kamuy would be decent if the terrible look of the CGI bear didn't make it an instant "read the manga" deal.

I have a ton of friends that really like Darling in the Franxx, but that seems like waifu worship to me.
That's basically all it is, as well as having some asspulls in the later episode that had most of the fans hyping it up come around to seeing it's nothing special at all.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Only watched more of the same at a slow rate due to being preoccupied with other things.

Rurouni Kenshin - Up to the part where Misao becomes the temporary leader of the Oniwabanshu, so close to the series' peak. Despite having a few typical Shonen tropes, it remains apparent the Legend of Kyoto Arc was one of the best arcs in Shonen and it's nice to relive it.

Turn A Gundam - Watched the first 16 episodes. It's getting better with the tension between both sides' fragile peace treaty starting to break and providing more of a focus on character drama and development than most parts of the franchise, particularly with the trading places of Kihel and Dianna, though the cast doesn't quite have the same charisma about them as most of the U.C.'s household names.

Tekkaman Blade - Up to episode 8. D-Boy losing his powers could've been an interesting way to take the story for a while, but it was disappointing to see him just gain a new version of his Tekkaman transformation the next episode, rather than spending a few episodes with him powerless and forced to rethink his method of combat. Dagger was also a jobber and the tranny continues to be a worthless addition. I'm interested to see where they take Asimov's character though.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Turn A Gundam - Up to episode 25. The series can still be slow at times and has a lot of unessential events and characters that detract from the believability and focus the U.C.'s main cast had (outside of ZZ at least). It's hard to sell a believable setting when the roster of Mobile Suit pilots include a Hippy Thot. Nevertheless, it's good aspects have started to shine a lot more such as character development and relations.

Guyver - Watched all of this short OVA series. It's plot is nothing special, though it's cool designs, opening/ending and action scenes help it stand out more than most other cheesy violent OVAs.

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
Slam Dunk: I'm still on 10 episodes but still the humor of the anime really connects me in a good way and will be invest more for a long run. The chemistry of the characters are way to the roof!

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Turn A Gundam - Up to episode 34. Though the slow pace can still be a factor, the characters have become a lot more likeable and the world building has become pretty good. Would definitely say it belongs in the good category of Gundam series unless the climax is bad.

Monster - Watched the first 32 episodes with a friend after recommending the series to him and wanting to compare it to the manga. Apart from a few needless replays of scenes as flashbacks in the early episodes that bog down the pacing, it's an adaption just as good as the manga.

Also rewatched episodes 16-20 of Legend of the Galactic Heroes with my cousin due to him having not seen the series fully yet.

Flame

High Class Warrior
-One Piece in the Skywhatever arc.
-Gintama Silver Soul Arc 2 just began.
-Darling in the FranXX just finished.

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
Hajime no Ippo

Great series with excellent beginning, similar to Slam Dunk except of less comedy and more serious tone. I nearly complete 10 episodes so far and I'm not disappointed. I'm invest on the story right now since its really a slow build that allows you see connect easily.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Fearless Instinct said:
Hajime no Ippo

Great series with excellent beginning, similar to Slam Dunk except of less comedy and more serious tone. I nearly complete 10 episodes so far and I'm not disappointed. I'm invest on the story right now since its really a slow build that allows you see connect easily.
If the story/characters are the main drawing point, I'd advise watching/reading Ashita no Joe instead as the story's twists and theme exploration and character development are vastly better than in HnI, which quickly becomes pretty repetitive in it's structure and has practically no stakes by comparison with it lacking the character deaths/permanent damage within AnJ.

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
Captain Cadaver said:
Fearless Instinct said:
Hajime no Ippo

If the story/characters are the main drawing point, I'd advise watching/reading Ashita no Joe instead as the story's twists and theme exploration and character development are vastly better than in HnI, which quickly becomes pretty repetitive in it's structure and has practically no stakes by comparison with it lacking the character deaths/permanent damage within AnJ.

Thanks, but I'm gonna stick with Romcom genre for a while.

Kimagure Orange Road: Great Romance except the main character is a wimp and does look like Ranma without the ponytail.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Finished Turn A Gundam. It was decent, but not wholly good.
Watched more of Monster with a friend. Currently up to episode 52.
My rewatch of Legend of the Galactic Heroes with my cousin is up to episode 30.

Also watched up to Tekkaman Blade and got up to episode 11. Heard it's quality increases around episode 13, though it best be by a wide amount to keep my engagement.

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
Captain Cadaver said:
Fearless Instinct said:
Hajime no Ippo

Now it's time to check this one out. :cage2

Super Saiyan Overlord1007

High Class Warrior
Clannad - Slice of Life isn't my thing, but this was pretty amusing a times.
Noragami S1 and 2 - I love this series, definitely one of the better anime I've seen this year
Awakara Under the Bridge - It's so over the top that it's amusing, almost like it's so bad it's good. Yet to come across the meme it created though...
Say I Love You - Now that it's had a bit of time to sit in my head for a bit, it's not that bad, but it isn't something I'd watch again..
Eureka Seven - Best anime I've seen all year and one of my all-time favorites (Probably is my favorite).

So far, Noragami and Eureka Seven are the only anime I've seen recently that I enjoyed enough to watch multiple times.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Finished watching Monster. It was just as good as the manga.

Up to episode 20 of Tekkaman Blade and the quality has improved quite a bit. As long as the drawback of D-Boy's Tekkaman state stays a constant throughout the series, I'd say this series may very well hold the title of best use of a berserker transformation in anime as it has some actual repercussions and psychological effect on the characters, rather than having the protagonist only damage some people instead of killing them and eventually controlling it like in most shit tier Shonen.

High Class Warrior
I just finished S1 of My Hero Academia and I thought it was pretty good, one of the better animes I've seen this year. I don't like it as much as Noragami or Eureka Seven, but it's still a strong third.

Warmmedown

Elite
Danganronpa 3. Getting ready to hopefully play V3 in August or September.

sei'taer

High Class Warrior
I've watched a ton actually.

My girlfriend and I watched the first 4-5 episodes of Persona 5: the animation and Darling in the Franxxx yesterday. I also watched the first few episode of megalo box and golden kamui.

Of the four megalo box is probably the one I'm most interested in. I obviously already know the plot of persona 5, Franx is studio trigger and A-1 so the fanservice/sex metaphors are a little too much at times, and I just haven't watched enough of Kamui to grab me yet.

High Class Warrior
I just finished S1 of Tokyo Ghoul and I didn't think it was all that great. It was aight, but nothing amazing (Kind of disappointed, I expected it more from it).