What have you been watching in the past 7 days?

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Ashita no Joe 2 - 22/47

Around the halfway point and while it doesn't seem much better than the manga, it's still fairly captivating whenever Joe encounters a new boxer like Yongbi or Carlos and the animation is pretty good for a series created in 1980.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Up to episode 85 on the Saint Seiya rewatch and remembering why the Asgard Arc is the best filler arc in anime, to which I'll go into once watching it's entirety. Unfortunately, the translations become very hit or miss from episode 82 to what seems to be at least 93, though the version on 9anime is still a fair bit better than the translation inaccuracy from previous providers.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Finished rewatching the Asgard Arc of Saint Seiya (episodes 74-99).

As for my overall thoughts on it, whilst the sense of urgency isn't portrayed quite as direly as in the Sanctuary Arc, it does a great job in making the God Warriors be memorable villains in both design and personality due to each having highly contrasting reasons for their common goal (which is more than can be said of the Poseidon and Hades Arcs) and the ending of this arc was a great way of leading back into the manga plot in a far more exciting way than the manga. This alone is enough to make it the best filler arc in anime (though that's not saying much when 99% of filler is :trash).
However, it's far from flawless as it has the same resolve power ups and deus ex machinas as the previous arc. For reasons I've gone into prior, however, this is a case where such isn't a deal breaker for the plot's quality. Also, the sense of threat wasn't as great as the previous arc with the difference in strength between some of the God Warriors varying far moreso than the Gold Saints and even the strongest only equal to Saga, with the rest being below Aldebaran who's not even considered one of the strongest Gold Saints. Also, whilst not a problem for this arc, it's positive attributes lead to it making the Poseidon Arc that follows it feel even more lacklustre than the manga version already was. Nevertheless, it was a decent arc deserving of a 6/10.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Finished watching AnJ2. Was a bit underwhelming for me possibly because I've seen so many "burnt out at the end against a greater foe" type of endings, but it was a decent run. 7.5/10

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Finished rewatching Saint Seiya and can say that aside from the Poseidon Arc (which at least wasn't terrible), it holds up as being fairly decent as a Battle Shonen despite some poor tropes. Went on to rewatching the first part of the Hades Arc and it was amazing how good the art is aside from the CGI, even if that doesn't excuse the plot losing steam during it's last 2 episodes of Part 1.

Watched up to episode 8 of Zegapain and it's pretty interesting in it's theme exploration of what truly makes reality, even if some episodes can feel highly episodic.

Let's Go Fearless!

Zeta Elite
Not watching but reading. I've been reading HNK just an hour earlier and I just finished the volume 1. I must say Shin's arc is a lot shorter than the anime version. The joker stuffs were cut off and that submarine whatever that was in the anime which made Ken a lot stronger. I'm still not used to on its art style but will get into in no time.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
The Great Fearless said:
Not watching but reading. I've been reading HNK just an hour earlier and I just finished the volume 1. I must say Shin's arc is a lot shorter than the anime version. The joker stuffs were cut off and that submarine whatever that was in the anime which made Ken a lot stronger. I'm still not used to on its art style but will get into in no time.
This thread is for manga reading: http://www.dbzeta.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=267&start=60

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Finished rewatching the second part of Saint Seiya's Hades Arc OVAs. It's not as good as the first act, but has it's moments and still allows the arc to be a lot better than the Poseidon Arc was.

Watched up to episode 13 of Zegapain. It's gotten far more interesting and the ending of episode 13 was a pretty good twist that hopefully allows for the series to fully move away from the boring school moments that were stopping the series from living up to it's full potential.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Finished watching Zegapain. It had a good plot, but could've done with better character writing and pacing.

Watched up to episode 13 of Princess Tutu and despite starting off as a typical Magical Girl show, it has ended up becoming interesting as the characters are already evolving away from the archetypes they began as, particularly Fakir, and how the story of the Prince and the Raven's ties to them on how they will have difficulty rebelling against their role in the story they originated from is a good commentary on how actually creative works are harder to create or make popular instead of churning out more of the same (exactly what modern anime have become).

Rewatching Takarajima, an animated retelling of Treasure Island and it's better than I remember, particularly in it's portrayal of John Silver making him an amazing character (and almost Rikiishi tier manly badass). Only problem I have with it is Jim's character design being too childlike for a 13 year old who Silver initially mistakes for being older.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Been watching a little bit more of the Rurouni Kenshin anime and up to the battle between Kenshin and Shishio. No major complaints about the Kyoto Arc, with the only thing close to that being Fuji being a giant being a bit questionable for a historical series, but it works fine when the "Romance" in the series subtitle refers to romanticism of fact as most historical epics have in such embellishing, so it works within that context. Other than that, it has no real flaws and what Shonen tropes it has merge themselves well within the setting and themes of the series, so I definitely wouldn't consider them a negative (the comedy can be a bit poor at times in the same way as FMA:B's, but like that series it's never enough to break the immersion). Definitely one of the best arcs in Shonen for not having anything too egregious in its writing alone.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Captain Cadaver said:
Been watching a little bit more of the Rurouni Kenshin anime and up to the battle between Kenshin and Shishio. No major complaints about the Kyoto Arc, with the only thing close to that being Fuji being a giant being a bit questionable for a historical series, but it works fine when the "Romance" in the series subtitle refers to romanticism of fact as most historical epics have in such embellishing, so it works within that context. Other than that, it has no real flaws and what Shonen tropes it has merge themselves well within the setting and themes of the series, so I definitely wouldn't consider them a negative (the comedy can be a bit poor at times in the same way as FMA:B's, but like that series it's never enough to break the immersion). Definitely one of the best arcs in Shonen for not having anything too egregious in its writing alone.

I think the most immersion breaking thing was probably Sanosuke's pocket bombs having power comparable to nukes of that size, sinking a battleship as if it were stuck down by repeated cannon fire.

Captain Cadaver

Zeta Elite
Retired Staff
Kenshi said:
I think the most immersion breaking thing was probably Sanosuke's pocket bombs having power comparable to nukes of that size, sinking a battleship as if it were stuck down by repeated cannon fire.
To be fair, the story goes out of its way to refer to them as an experimental design, hinting at them being too dangerous for military development or mass production, which also helps justify why they weren't spammed as projectile weapons afterwards. The size could also be justified depending on the chemical composition.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
If they were so dangerous something so much as Sanosuke slipping on something and hitting his leg could set them off tho, not to mention this is Japan at the infancy of its industrialization, where it'd only just abolished the feudal Shogunate a decade prior.

Warmmedown

Elite
FMAB (Funimation English dub)

Hunter x Hunter

Doragon Boru Zetaaaaa Vegeta vs Semi-Perfect Cell. Poor Cell, poor Trunks, poor everyone relying on Vegeta for salvation.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Warmmeup said:
FMAB (Funimation English dub)

Hunter x Hunter

Doragon Boru Zetaaaaa Vegeta vs Semi-Perfect Cell. Poor Cell, poor Trunks, poor everyone relying on Vegeta for salvation.

You rewatching these?