One Piece Discussion

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I still left it on hold since Zou. I should probably read Whole Cake Island soon. I don't feel like reading Wano yet, however.
I challenge you to get current on the manga son.

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
I'll get current on the Saga I'm on (Whole Cake Island).

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Clearly you didn't read the fine print of your unbanning agreement. Section L, starting at word 3,200 states that you must get current on OP or you'll be banned again.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
They're probably still related.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Started watching the Strong World film last night as it was added to Netflix. Holy fuck, whoever was in charge of this film needs to be shot. Shiki is portrayed as being a fearsome pirate who was on equal ground with both Roger and Whitebeard in the manga. The first time we see him in the film, he's performing some faggot dance with his demented crew mates, and it only got worse from there. Will be funny to see how pre timeskip Luffy can beat his ass :alex2

sei'taer

High Class Warrior
I've been re-reading Enies Lobby and it just occurs to me how dreadful a buster call was made out to be at the time. And I guess it still is something terrifying for most of the one piece world.

But with the current power levels 10 warships and 5 vice admirals seems kinda laughable at this point to pretty much any major pirate crew in the world. No wonder it wasn't used more in the series.

Warmmedown

Elite
DW Call is timelessly terrifying

Best part of Strong World was the opening with Luffy running down the mountain or cliff. After seeing that part and knowing One Piece didn't have any bad canon parts yet, I expected something good, but yeh it sucked. Not that I remember any of it now.

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
Yeah, the power scaling in Part II is ridiculous. Especially for Luffy, since Kid, Law, and the Straw Hats are all nowhere near his level now.

sei'taer

High Class Warrior
Yeah, the power scaling in Part II is ridiculous. Especially for Luffy, since Kid, Law, and the Straw Hats are all nowhere near his level now.

I mean even what we were shown at the end of part one. Ever since the Paramount war in fact.

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
I mean even what we were shown at the end of part one. Ever since the Paramount war in fact.
I also like to argue One Piece has been consistently bad since the Whitebeard War Saga or at least after Thriller Bark.

sei'taer

High Class Warrior
I also like to argue One Piece has been consistently bad since the Whitebeard War Saga or at least after Thriller Bark

I disagree with that. Dressrosa is one of my favorite arcs of One Piece. The issue with post time skip is how bad it started. Fishman Island and Punk Hazard are pretty bad, and everything but Luffy vs Katakuri in Whole Cake was incredibly lame. Zou and the later parts of Wano have been pretty good.

Though going back and re-reading those arcs may make them better than I felt at first just like re-reading Skypiea did.

Symbiote

High Class Warrior
I disagree with that. Dressrosa is one of my favorite arcs of One Piece. The issue with post time skip is how bad it started. Fishman Island and Punk Hazard are pretty bad, and everything but Luffy vs Katakuri in Whole Cake was incredibly lame. Zou and the later parts of Wano have been pretty good.

Though going back and re-reading those arcs may make them better than I felt at first just like re-reading Skypiea did.
Part 2 is leagues better when you read the whole arcs at once instead of weekly.

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
Part 2 is leagues better when you read the whole arcs at once instead of weekly.
Do you think this is why Future Warrior dislikes Wano? Because it's ridiculously long even for a One Piece Story Arc?

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
Do you think this is why Future Warrior dislikes Wano? Because it's ridiculously long even for a One Piece Story Arc?
He said he hated the shitty plot direction in its ending. He was defending it (OP as a whole but yeh) a month or so back.

Future Warrior

Elite
I was defending it because I thought there was MORE to the arc. As a finale, what was happening in the story was a joke compared to previous arcs, because all the payoffs to plot threads, character development, and stakes were abysmal.

Which is why I thought Wano wasn't over and we would get all of that as the arc progressed, but alas, I was in denial.

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
How lame is it that Big Mom was teased as an unstoppable force if not for her berserk hunger and she got raped by two jobbers using bombs too lol

Yoshi

Elite
Ultimate
Well, Oda tends to put too much expectations on himself, and that might have contributed to the bad payoff of Wano, because it was the last Story Arc of the Super Saga.

Last edited: