What you have been reading within the past 7 days

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
I didn't even read Part 5 I just watched the anime lol

I'd say there's no need to keep reading after Part 1 since the condensation isn't really bad aside from bits of Part 4, plus JoJo's staff are diehard fans of the manga and improved upon it at points like fixing some plot holes and adding more meat to some villains' defeats like Pucci's. Part 7 is the only one that is a must read right now since it isn't animated

Papasmurf

Zeta Elite
Legend
What are some plot holes they fixed
- Star Finger and Polnareff's "no armor makes me faster" techniques are used in later fights in the SC anime, also there is no scene showing how the Evil Bud of Dio's was destroyed or expelled from Joseph's head in the manga while the anime adds a short scene in which he vaporizes it with Hamon after Lovers was expelled from his brain. Also Dio and one of his vampirized minions don't die when the room they're in is exposed to sunlight in the manga, while that part is omitted in the anime
- Gold Experience isn't cut by the Stand Creation Arrow in the anime in the Black Sabbath fight
- Anasui isn't shown as a female in his first appearance in the anime

There are tons of other minor changes but those are the ones that come to mind

Reactions: Kyo

Warmmedown

Elite
Bit more of Holyland.

Read a fucktonne of The Fable, past 40% through now. I'd say it's about 50% the slice of life type stuff and 50% criminal stuff now. All the conversations feel really realistic and so many characters feel like real people, whether they're big shots, underlings, men or women. The villain right now is a real piece of work, holy shit.
The only thing I'd say is lacking is the quality of the action, which is a lot easier to notice when comparing it to Holyland.

Last edited:

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Up to about chapter 70 of The Fable. It keeps getting better.

Future Warrior

Elite
I'll make a thread and read through it slowly to take it all in. Anyone else is welcome to join.
Just to let you know in advance that it would be best to read it from Mangadex for the first arc, cause some sites don't have the updated translations. Or show me in advance the site your reading just to make sure.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
Will do. Is the official translation on there or just a better fanslation?

Future Warrior

Elite
There isn't really an ''official'' translation. Kingdom isn't popular enough on the Western side unfortunately.

The problem isn't the accuracy of the translation, but the early fanslations decided to keep character pronunciations of names as chinese. The problem is that you'll eventually notice after a certain point that a bunch of names are suddenly changed because they switched it to the japanese pronunciation. It was a problem for me reading because I had to suddenly get used to calling characters something completely different lol. Regardless, the Japanese names sound way cooler, so whatever. Everybody who reads Kingdom uses the japanese names.

This is only a problem with the first arc though. Pretty sure any site you'll read on after that point will be consistent.

Warmmedown

Elite
Got like four chaps of The Fable left. Might have to drop another manga from my faves list on MAL, unless it manages to fuck it all up at the end somehow.
I saw an MAL review which said this is a good series but not one that'll stay with you or change how you look at the world, but I think the MC's resoluteness, ability to roll with life's punches rather than letting it stop him and appreciation for daily life might stick with me, plus some other characters were really interesting too. Could see myself re-reading this within a year. Or maybe before that happens I'll try to live in the woods without a tent for a few days like the MC and die. I'm really interested to read about the mangaka because I'm wondering how he knows so much about random stuff and I'm also wondering if he has any yakuza links, but unfortunately there's nearly zero info available in English.

Last edited:

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I'm up to around 210. I wasn't anticipating enjoying this type of story this much, but it has a perfect mix of slice of life and action.

Warmmedown

Elite
Do you find it hard to know what's coming? I really couldn't tell who's going to die or betray who and when.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
The only one I predicted was that thug that Yamoaka killed. That guy had no future whatsoever lol.

Warmmedown

Elite
I thought they might show him trying to fit into his new job. Then when he went alone in the woods I thought for sure he's gonna die, then he came back and I thought oh he's ok, then I was like nope dead, nope ok, nope dead. I thought a couple others would definitely die but then they didn't - death flags like saying they want to retire or Akira agreeing with Misaki to maybe tell the boss everything when he returns to protect him better and not to worry.

Finished it now. There's an ongoing sequel, but I'll probably wait.

SSJ2

Zeta Elite
Staff member
Founder
I’ll probably read the sequel as it comes out. It’s only at around chapter 30 now. the First chapter picks up right where part 1 left off.